Fear of Snow..........!

• 12 Replies

sunnychicks

Fear of Snow..........!
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:03 »
Well i could hardly believe my eyes the other morning.      :blush:      After our first fall of snow my three Hens & one Cockerel took one look at the snow & aaagggghhhhhh total shock, they simply wont come out of their home & walk on it.

They have a coop placed inside a large greenhouse when the nights began to draw in for extra protection from the weather, until now all has been fine & dandy.

No matter what i do they simply refuse to come out into the garden, all offers of treats have been ignored despite their gluttony, i was convinced they sweet corn & grapes would entice them out but noooo. I placed a large piece of carpet outside the doorway & some times they venture out but only for a few minuites then back inside they go. They have still given eggs but i am stumped as to how to envagle them outside, any bright ideas please. 

8doubles

Re: Fear of Snow..........!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:10 »
Mine refused to go out in the snow for four days last winter. If they do not need to go outside why go out and get cold ?
Bribery with food got them out but not for long. :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:20 »
Would you go out in the snow with bare feet? Get them some wellies!

evie2

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 13:22 »
Ours took one look at the snow this morning and went back to bed, don't blame them :lol: they'll come out when they want sunnychicks :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 13:24 »
they are very wise and won't get their feet cold. Mine had to have their bread and cheese on the doorstep of the run this morning  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 17:08 »
Cheese?  Never tried that.  Have read not to give them milk so thought all dairy produce would be the same.  Will give them some tomorrow but they will have to fight the dog for it cos she loves it.
Jinty

kellym

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 17:38 »
well i always thought my 2 girls were a bit odd........they absolutely loved it this morning when they saw the white stuff in thier run :) i went to work then when i got back they were pacing the run waiting to get out. straight out they went not a care in the world  :nowink:  im stood there freezing and they just run round the garden lol

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 17:50 »
Same here, our 5 chooks were quite happy running about in the snow, didn't seem to bother them in the least.

I know someone who has one particular chicken that would come as far as the snow edge in the run and no further, so the owner would pick her up over the snow to put her down in another covered part of the garden with no snow and then the chicken would wait for the same again when it was time to go back in the roost! Mad!

evie2

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:42 »
Ours have come out and gone back in again even though their small run is covered, I've made some mash for them, let's see if that will tempt them :D and they gave us 3 eggs :D

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:43 by evie2 »

madcat

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:58 »
I know someone who has one particular chicken that would come as far as the snow edge in the run and no further, so the owner would pick her up over the snow to put her down in another covered part of the garden with no snow and then the chicken would wait for the same again when it was time to go back in the roost! Mad!

I assume you meant the owner was mad?  The chuck seems very sensible - why get my feet cold when I have a slave??   :tongue2:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 14:53 »
well we have REALLY thick snow and none of mine will come out.  Their door is open and the 'boss' (they are all girls) came out about 3 steps, stood there looking frozen and ran back inside to the others.  She hasn't layed today either, but did yesterday.  I do think it is a bit too much for the 8 week olds though-  it is up to the hens wings admittedly  ;)
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

evie2

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 18:27 »
Today ours came out into the garden because we were working clearing paths.

Tinker went into the untouched snow and disappeared, snow 2ft chicken 18ins, she spent the next 15 minutes flying out then jumping back into the snow with no adverse effect :lol: :lol: :lol:

SamT

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 18:40 »
Mine wouldnt go in the snow the first time they saw it last year and sat on top of their day pen all day and even laid an egg up there rather than go back into the shed as it meant walking in the snow. We had to carry one of them over the snow when two finally walked off as she stood and sqwarked until they were reunited. They got used to it after a couple of days and now wander round no problem

xx
Snow

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 20:09
by evie2
xx
snow

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 18:05
by Jellyhead
xx
Oh no more snow

Started by Nails on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 09:59
by grumpydad
xx
Chickens + snow

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post February 06, 2012, 19:00
by hen-night

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 29 queries.