Allotments flowers??

• 11 Replies

Totty

Allotments flowers??
« on: November 29, 2010, 21:20 »
Hi all,

I had a great first year at the alloltment. Although i cant be unhappy with the productiveness of my plot, because i spend quite alot of time there i would like it to look nice too. What flowers do you suggest i could plant around, bearing in mind that everything needs to play its part. E.g,  destracting pests, attracting pollinators etc etc

Totty

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: Allotments flowers??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 21:27 »
Marigolds deter pests.
Maybe you could grow some flowers that can be used as cut flowers for the home too. Have a good flick through the seed catalogues, the flowers usually have different icons next to them to show if they are good for bee's, cut flowers.....

Babstreefern

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 22:29 »
I too have an allotment, and just outside of one of my greenhouses, I have a raised bed measuring 6' x 4', and I grow carnivorous plants - they catch insects and digest them.  They are a good talking point.  I will be purchasing some more in the early part of next year, as they don't half do their job well.  A few of the pitcher plants actually had wasps in them.  They are a very fascinating plant.

If you're interested in them, go to this site, Nigel is very good.  The plants at the moment are dormant.  I cut them down so they are about an inch above the ground, and they "rest" before perking up for the summer.

http://www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk/shop/
Babs

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 22:35 »
climing roses make a great boundary plant, and the hips provide a useful harvest. I also grow marigolds to deter pests and nasturtiums for peppery salad leaves  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:45 »
I used a lot of marigolds this year (especially near the beans in the hope of deterring blackfly) , and my kids sowed wildflowers in patches - mixture - especially poppies.  We'll do the same again next year.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:24 »
To deter blackfly from climbing beans, just nip the tops when they reach the top of the canes (when they get to the 7 to 8 ft height.  I never suffer from them :D

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:37 »
Hi
I had marigolds in my greenhouse this year and didn't have any white fly. Also tried them on the beds but this didn't work as well. Possible have to put a lot more in because of the wind. B&Q do a cottage garden mixe for under £2 which will give you a great selection of summer plants.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 13:30 »
i still grow a few flowers on the lottie mostly for cutting although they do tend to attract the bees i grow several rows of sweet William and keep them on the same patch for two seasons changing both seed and ground after cutting the second seasons flowers

a couple of rows of helichrysum and a few rows of pom/ Dahlia and yes marigold are a good addition to set they serve many uses although i don't grow them myself on the lottie

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 13:34 »
grow sweet peas to encourage bees onto the beans and my blue borage is always swarming with bees :)

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 19:43 »
Marigolds and nastursiums for me - they are so easy to grow.  But also, sunflowers - I just love them.

Totty

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 19:50 »
Hi all,

Boradge, sweet peas and marigolds are a definate, will be growing hops and something called morning glory heavenly blue alongside my chicken run in order too keep the wind off of them. Its really the borders which i am at a loss as to know what to do. Pretty, aromatic and benificial are all essential.

Thanks all

Totty

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 19:52 »
I have previously grown cosmos, sunflowers, dahlias (from seed), sweet peas, english marigolds, and cerinthe major purpurescens (this reseeds itself every year so no need to buy repeated seed, it comes out easily enough if you don't want it!!)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg
xx
New to allotments

Started by Spammy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2015, 22:37
by juvenal
xx
New Allotments

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 16:03
by mikeimp
xx
Allotments Act

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 12:06
by archibtbm

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 29 queries.