What price for allotments?

• 12 Replies

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« on: July 26, 2007, 13:56 »
I'm still mulling over making the end of a field here into an area of allotments.

Say - I made a basic unit of 10m x 20m (is that about the right size?)

What would I charge?

Plan would be to include a tap on each site, off road parking (once more than one or two take up plots) and permission to erect a temporary shed.

I also need to look into general regulations regarding lease times etc.  But what do you think this would be worth?

Now I don't mean what you get yours for (I know there are some great deals to be had) but rather what you would pay.  I need to at least cover costs in this venture.

Edit to add - PM me if you would rather give a value privately.
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 14:48 »
My allotment is £15 per annum and it measures 150' by 10' and i get nothing else for it, just the weeds and then some more weeds. Hope this helps.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

wildeone

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 16:01 »
It really depends on demand doesn't it????

Have you got in contact with your local council? If there is long waiting lists then your price can be higher or if there are already a lot of allotments around then maybe you need to offer great ammenities to get a better price! Also think of added extras you could earn extra income from like a tool loan scheme, fete open days etc etc maybe contact your local community centre to see if they would be interrested in advertising for you in the parish magazine (community project usually get free adverts)

And maybe offer different sized plots so that a novice who wants to try their hand at it isn't overwhelmed and an expert can take a larger plot!!! All priced accordingly!

I know i haven't named a price but maybe you could offer a pay monthly option like £8-£10 per month then it doesn't sting so much when you say £100 - £120 per year :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  Always make sure that people pay by standing order then you wont have to chase for cash and cheques all the time :)

This is all just ideas i've come up with now so please take other advice and maybe consult someone about a legal lease etc

HTH
Janine x

gregmcalister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 16:15 »
My allotment costs £29 per annum

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 17:53 »
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Wildone your comments are much appreciated.  I'm beginning to wonder if this might not be viable.  I was chatting to the council today and it seems demand in our area is not so high as I thought it might be (but then she did admit that the council plots were almost invisible under the undergrowth!).

Insurance etc. I can see as a possible problem with letting people onto private land.  I think the council doesn't worry so much about this.

However it really would need to be £150 a year to be worthwhile for me I think.  I would see them requiring quite a bit of work to create and maintain.  I like your idea of monthly direct debit wildone.

Still mulling I think.... although I do like the idea of folk working the land more productively than the current grazing/hay cutting thing.

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 18:00 »
My plot is 90 feet by 15 feet and i have access to a water tap about 30 feet away.
The cost is £49 per annum.
Bit pricey compared to others I think.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Sally A

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 18:37 »
Ooh, there's a tricky dilemma. Mainly about demand and supply.  If you live in a built up area you can charge more, or if the immediate housing only has small gardens then you're laughing, as I believe that Growing Your Own is the new THING.  Whilst it's still not millionaire material, it does make use of land otherwise unused.

How about having a meeting of all interested parties; being totally upfront about your outlay, ie water, insurance, tax etc, and see if they are still up for it.

Veg growers tend to be down to earth people so will be open with you on their expectations and money situation.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, there was a situation in Bath where the councillors (bless 'em) tried to shut allotments and put old folks bungalows on the site.  Unfortunately for them, this would have messed up the skyline and affected their World Heritage City standing (they've cocked it up in other ways since then but what the heck), this has resultedin the previous allotment area being layed fallow for approx 7 years, apart from a couple of horses who appeared from who know where.

Despite the demand, it seems that councils only allocate ground to allotments where there is a restrictive covenant as to the ground usage, or in flood plane, or subsidence (eg coal mining) areas where they can't get loads of dosh for houses.

mushroom

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:56 »
Quote from: "wildeone"
It really depends on demand doesn't it????

I know i haven't named a price but maybe you could offer a pay monthly option like £8-£10 per month then it doesn't sting so much when you say £100 - £120 per year :wink:  :wink:  :wink:  Always make sure that people pay by standing order then you wont have to chase for cash and cheques all the time :)

Please bear in mind that allotments are primarily aimed at the less well off who have no land or gardens of their own, rather than the middle classes with their privately owned houses with cars in the drive and gardens front and back.

Quite a sizable proportion of the population has no standing order or direct debit facility. Apart from this, paying in person at renewal time will give "face time" between allotmenteer and site owner so that any plans and/or issues can be addressed. I really can't see the issue here with "chasing for cash". When an allotment is signed up, the allotmenteer knows the renewal month. If they don't renew, they lose the plot. Make it a condition of signing up.

The reason plots are relatively cheap in terms of rental is because firstly most of them are gifted either privately or by the council, and the organisations that run them are not for profit. There is lots of information on the web regarding the allotment movement and why it happened. If you're wanting to do it for profit rather than just break-even or for the love of doing it, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons in my opinion.

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
Re: What price for allotments?
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 10:17 »
I recognise what you are saying here mushroom.  

However not all landowners are rolling in cash either.  If I give this up for allotments then I loose on other profit I could make on the land (eg. last year we sold hay made from the field).

Quote from: "Salkeela"
I need to at least cover costs in this venture.

I am not really looking to "make" much if anything on this, but I do feel that the cost of setting up should not be one that takes me years to pay off.  Nor that the time I put into the management should be totally unrecompensed.

Perhaps you are right though and I am simply not rich enough to do this the way those who might take the allotments would like.

mushroom

Re: What price for allotments?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:41 »
I recognise what you are saying here mushroom.  

However not all landowners are rolling in cash either.  If I give this up for allotments then I loose on other profit I could make on the land (eg. last year we sold hay made from the field).

Typically, allotments cover land that was/is not "in use". If the land you've earmarked for an allotment is already turning over a tidy profit, I doubt you will realise the same profit unless you can value it in other ways. Like, if your farm is called Salkeela's Farm then you could have Salkeela's Allotments which may raise the profile of Salkeela's Enterprises... not all profit is immediately monetary. If there are some allotments in your area, you could have something on your site that the others don't have. A lot of sites have sometimes quite severe restrictions, like not keeping animals, or forbidding growing trees, or limited access, or no water, or maximum shed size, or no security, or lousy soil..... if you advertise that you've not got restrictions like this, it gives you an edge over other sites, and you can charge more. It also helps if you're in a town rather than out in the sticks.

I am not really looking to "make" much if anything on this, but I do feel that the cost of setting up should not be one that takes me years to pay off.

Of course. But it will probably take more than a year.

Nor that the time I put into the management should be totally unrecompensed.

On my site, a handful of volounteers manage it. So, it is self-managing from the landowner's perspective.

Perhaps you are right though and I am simply not rich enough to do this the way those who might take the allotments would like.

I don't know how rich you are  :wink: Maybe it would be an idea to do a little at a time, say, 10 allotments, then either do a mailshot to your target area advertising the facility, or perhaps placing an advert in the local rag. What would demand be like?

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 02:11 »
:?:

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 09:29 »
I pay only £4 per year and while my plot isn't the best it is adequate. Growing your own is the new black at the moment, but, it can be a very short fad if a significant harvest is not achieved or battling weeds becomes too much effort ( 1 new family on our 'lottie gave up pretty early on this year). If the cost of the plot is significant then people may think that buying organic in the supermarket is more cost effective(even though the taste is still inferior to home grown), and sales of that are still lagging behind ordinary veg so probably I think the cost of plot to yield to effort may make it difficult for you if you are over the £100 mark. This is just my opinion of course, any other opinions would be welcome.

purplebat

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 14:31 »
I'm not actually aware that anyone "manages" our site; we pay the rent in October to the woman in the village post office, and you can contact her if there are any problems, but I don't think anyone does, and we all get on with it, everyone looks after the paths around their plots (to a degree  :lol: ) there's no water supply, no gates to lock (thus, no keys to pay for), I trhink what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't necessarily have to be a real time-consuming venture, mark off the areas and let the lottie holders clear it, hope this helps a little  :lol:
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

xx
New to this forum - what price are allotments and whats included?

Started by pickle on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 19:06
by South Downs Wayer
xx
Price of garlic

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 18, 2015, 20:45
by Swing Swang
xx
Price of fertiliser

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 09:27
by Kristen
xx
Price of fertilizer

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2017, 20:41
by JimB

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.