fresh air poultry houses?

• 8 Replies

sirius951

fresh air poultry houses?
« on: November 27, 2010, 22:59 »
Has anybody read this?
http://www.nortoncreekpress.com/fresh_air_poultry_houses.html
It's got me intrigued! I have sent off for the book from amazon to see if they can convince me. Hmmm. :unsure:
By  the way I'm already obsessed with chickens and I haven't even got any yet! Just at the planning stage. Spending all my time surfing the net and reading up on them. I dread to think what I'll be like once we've actually got some! I'll probably be a dreadful bore. ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: fresh air poultry houses?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 23:13 »
Interesting concept but not new, some turkeys live in Pole barns, but I'd worry about the rain, depending on how big the house is.  The chickens would need to be able to get away from any horizontal rain and the floors would still get wet surely?

Also, sometimes you get more feather pecking in birds with too much daylight in their house.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 23:14 by GrannieAnnie »

sirius951

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 23:17 »
Interesting idea though isn't it. I supposed if the house was inside a covered run that in a sheltered spot that would help with rain. Mind you most of the photo's I saw the hen houses were so huge they'd probably just scuttle off to the dry end. Did you see the bit about the coops being full of snow? I can't wait to read the book even if it turns out to be tosh. It sounds fascinating! :D

Spana

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:34 »
There's an otter sanctuary not far from me and they have lots of poultry and fancy fowl running about.  All the poultry houses are completely open fronted with just perches underneath.  All the birds  go to bed and get up when they choose but they do have amazing fox proofing.   :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:41 »
as I still have 14 tree dwellers (even in this snow  ::)) I think it should be ok. Even though we advise to keep ventilation above head height and to be aware of draughts it seems that open air doesn't cause the concentrated draught that can kill. One of my girls a little silkie cross banty called Claudette has slept outside for a couple of years and only coming in to lay eggs and hatch eggs, she seems to be really healthy  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:46 »
Who needs to buy a book that tells them that birds can live outdoors?
If animals can avoid cold and driving rain and predators most will do it, which is why we have closed coops.

sirius951

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 16:10 »
Oh, I don't intend to use this system, I just thought it was interesting considering how careful we have to be about draughts and how worried everyone seems to be about cold winter temperatures. The book looks like it might have a few old fashioned tips about chickens that may be interesting too I hope. It's always interesting to see how people used to do things. I'm the same with the garden. I love old gardening books and old wives tales about how to care for your garden although I couldn't say I use any of them really.

Totty

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 20:07 »
Thats somewhat helpful, i have been questioning weather or not i should be locking my girls up every night, even though there run and allotment site is totally fox proof!

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 13:51 »
The article mentions frequently that having this open air system vastly improves ventilation (obviously!) and that improves the hen's air quality as far as ammonia, dust etc is concerned. With a big commercial set up I can perhaps understand this, but for the back garden hen keeper, v.regular cleaning/poo picking etc should mean the hens always have good air quality in a well designed conventional hen house. I don't think the inside of our hen house smells any different to the outside air..... With the weather we have been having I am glad to close mine up each night (& I still worry during the night about them being cold!).
Helen

xx
The best poultry houses ever!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 13:38
by Flowerpower136
xx
Comparing different poultry houses

Started by Patricia7455 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 22:12
by oldjalopy
xx
lenham 504/ burwell poultry houses

Started by cherrypie on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 20, 2014, 09:39
by joyfull
xx
poultry houses made of recycling material - Link

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 14:11
by joyfull

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 38 queries.