Storing my roots in clamps

• 2 Replies

Mark-S

Storing my roots in clamps
« on: November 26, 2010, 20:26 »
Hi all
just thought i would share my experiences thus far with clamping my root vegetables - specifically carriots, sedes, beetroot and potatoes.   I prefer my parsnips to have as much frost as possible to raise the 'sugar' levels.
The reasons for clamping is that i have been very succesful with my roots, but less succesful in persuading my wife that i need a second shed which i could insulate.

I have quite a bit of experience with clamping veg on farm scale so thought i would trasfer that knowledge onto my allotment.

first i dug a trench around the storage throwing the spoil between the trenched area to allow the trench to be lower than the stored vegetables for improved drainage.
Next i placed a layer of straw on the soil
The vegetables are placed on the straw and enclosed with more straw
Copious amounts of soil was then placed on top of the staw to seal it, although i did leave a small area at the top to allow any moisture to escape.

I have begun harvesting the roots and they are coming out in perfect condition.

I am not saying thsi is for everyone - but so far it works for me, although i admit we have not had much cold wethaer until today..........this week will be the test.
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Storing my roots in clamps
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:42 »
Thanks for sharing this Mark. Let us know how you get on with it in the cold and snowy weather. Its an old traditional, tried and tested method of storage, after all.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

rowlandwells

Re: Storing my roots in clamps
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 09:10 »
i.ve seen this done many times by my late father in law he even grew his own wheat straw
that was always kept weeded or sprayed  for the clamp. he did his clamp in much the same way as you but prefer- ed his own straw for  the clamp the straw needed to be in long lengths much the same as thatch straw  he was very meticulous in building his clamp and would only open the clamp on a dry frost free day getting enough potatoes or carrots out for a weeks supply at a time  :)

he had to use this method as he only a small garden tool shed but the spuds and the carrots where perfect when they came out of the clamp and would last them till around March he always grew majestic potatoes a late crop :happy:

its a good way of storing if you have both the time and enthusiasm to do it as it is a bit labour intensive and must be done correctly to keep the winter elements out  drainage is an essential part of this process but its still nice to see old traditions carried on  :D

xx
Storing roots i.e. beetroot and turnip

Started by pulse on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 20:09
by Charlotte
xx
Storing veg!

Started by Donnay on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2012, 20:49
by mumofstig
xx
storing

Started by mrsbean on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 08:27
by willp
xx
Storing beetroot

Started by mikegm on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 22:34
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.