Chicken feelings

• 7 Replies

nicky

Chicken feelings
« on: July 26, 2007, 07:48 »
Hi, I'm Graeme, Nicky's husband (she's away!). Sorry if I'm not supposed to pretend to be her but I felt compelled to post.

I have spent alot of time with the chooks this week and had one hairy incident when one hopped out of the run and went walkabout. What I find interesting is how upset the other one got when it realised its friend was missing. She was calling for her (it was very sweet!).

Anyway, I spent a Morning increasing the size of their run so they have more room to run about (won't Nicky be pleased!  :D ), but really the point of this post is that I really don't understand how we get away with battery farming these days. These birds have real feelings and emotions, we wouldn't keep dogs in that environment. I wondered if anyone knew a good website that has an organised campaign against battery farming (not a mad terrorist one!)?

Sorry for the ramble, Nicky will be back next week!  :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chicken feelings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:37 »
they sure do have feelings... mine were a little spooked last night and I opened to coop door and stroked the 3 of them after 2 mins they settled down and went quiet and were much happier.

belladonna

Chicken feelings
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:13 »
I completely agree with you - battery farming is unacceptable. Many of my hens (past and present) have been rescued from battery farms, and when you actually see the conditions they came from, it makes it even more wonderful to see each of them bloom from scared and featherless into happy, healthy different characters. If you want to campaign, try these sites:
http://www.rspca.org.uk/futuretense_cs/extras/ltrtool.html
http://www.ciwf.org/campaigns/primary_campaigns/egg-laying.html
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/vegetarianism/ALL/513/
You can sign up, add your names to petitions or do something else positive  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken feelings
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 13:55 »
And of cause the Battery Hen Welfare Trust

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/

I'm against barn hens too.  I do eat chicken but insist on free range !

nicky

Chicken feelings
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 19:18 »
Thanks for the info guys - all interesting stuff!  :D

cherrypie

Chicken feelings
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:57 »
just out of interest aunt sally why are you opposed to barn hens, i've not given that one any thought, do i need to? i understood they had room to go outside even though it wasn't a huge amount of space.
thanks cherrypie

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken feelings
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 10:00 »
Free range hens live in a barn and have the facillity to go outside (if they can find the way out).  Free range does not necessarity mean good walfare.  

Barn hens live all their life in a barn in deep litter and in a very heavy density of birds.  Beak trimming is necessesary to reduce canabalism.  They are better off than caged birds but never see the sky or scratch for a worm.

cherrypie

Chicken feelings
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 08:45 »
ooh that is too sad to think about but i will give it more thought. Why do we, as a a society, allow it? profit and greed i guess. not to mention a fare bit of apathy (and ignorance) on the part of people like me who could stand up and shout louder at the powers that be.
but for now i at least i know my eggs have come from happy chucks and i have started eating less chicken prefering to spend more on free range less frequently.
thanks for the answer aunt sally.
cherrypie

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
clip
chicken run

Started by candymancan on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 17:31
by Aliparty
question
Shy Chicken

Started by ktc on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 21:04
by bantam novice
question
Chicken poo

Started by broody on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 08:03
by CattinJ

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 37 queries.