Cause for celebration...

• 5 Replies

Casey76

Cause for celebration...
« on: November 25, 2010, 08:46 »
I got up this morning and ALL my chooks were on the RIGHT side of the fence! woo!

I made the mistake a few weeks ago of letting all my hens free range across my entire garden, and ever since they have objected strongly to being behind the fence.  Unfortunately they can all fly over it without much thought.

At last, though, they seemed to have calmed down a little, and are happier to be in the chicken pen - perhaps becasue they how have company with my new girls.

All of the escapees are tree roosters, which is why they were out before I was outside this morning... I don't inentionally not lock them in a coop, so far they have made the decision to sleep in my (very bare) apple tree, and no signs of them coming into the warmth of a coop yet!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Cause for celebration...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 23:53 »
Hooray for you!

Just out of curiosity, how high is your fence?  And what breed are your girls?  It's very important in my situation that the hens stay in my yard because one neighbour has already made it clear that he will eat them if he finds them in his yard!  :ohmy:

I don't have hens yet but I'm looking for breeds that are less likely to escape.  The property has a 6-ft high fence all around, but it also has trees overhanging the fence and I'm a little scared my girls will think the grass in my neighbour's yard looks greener!  Could be a fatal mistake!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:17 »
Hi lindeggs Just get whatever hens youn ike and clip their wings you only take the ends off the flying feathers it doesn't  hurt them and then they can just do a kind of flying jump I would rather leave them but I live in a terrace an only have 1.5 m Walls I'm sure they could escape if they wanted. But why would they once they realise where the love / food is they will stay reasonably close. as far as your neighbour Is concerned the misserable person just bribe home with eggs to leave them alone. Why would anyone object to having a few hens strolling through the garden? 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:19 »
the trouble is chickens don't just stroll around - they also love to dig up plants etc and a lot of people who love gardening don't like that  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 21:38 »
Thanks wolverine, yes I will clip their wings as well as fencing them in.

I have a variety of interesting neighbours - one is very proud of his immaculate garden, one has dogs, and one says he's going to eat any stray hens! 

Oh I also have the people over the back fence who don't speak a word of English.  Their house opens onto a completely different street than mine and I can imagine them shoo-ing the chickens out of their yard in some random direction and the poor girls ending up in the next town.

Just to add to complications, I live on a busy road so if the hens get over the front gate they will likely end up as chicken pancakes.

Extreme measures will be taken to keep the chooks confined to my yard!

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:28 »
 :)yes joyfule i used to have a very neat & colourful garden then i got chickens :ohmy:
i hve a lot of shrubs they can't dig them up  :D but no more summer beding  :mellow:
allthough there there are a lot of herbs they don't like so i will be planting them instead ;)
one big advantage is no weeds so thats one job less :happy:

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 38 queries.