ok am glazing the greenhouse myself

• 4 Replies

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
ok am glazing the greenhouse myself
« on: November 24, 2010, 00:51 »
Newbie so feel free to shout me down but a bit handy and can tackle most jobs myself...so...

New plot - FREE GREENHOUSE! YAY!

Except... a few panes blew out in the recent gales and a few forum members have suggested I replace sooner rather than later to keep the greenhouse integrity (makes sense!).

Inherited a plot with loads of panes stacked up awaiting cutting and fitting.

Know the basics (have cut and fitted panes to the house) but want to know the pros and cons...

DO I:

a) cut the panes on my plot up and fit them to replace my broken parts? OR

b) go straight to a glazier, give them my measurements and fit ready-cuts?

Money-saving advice vs. time/hassle/lost finger advice welcome.

Cheers G

savbo

Re: ok am glazing the greenhouse myself
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:59 »
old glass is apprently harder to cut. I was doing something similar ealier this year with large quantity of old glass...didn't make 1 successful cut in a dozen attempts. Now I've not got the knack so I'd say give it a go but give up if you've no joy and buy it...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:53 »
If you have a decent clean flat surface to cut the glass on DIY. As Savbo stated the glass gets brittle as it gets older and cold weather will not help.
There are probably glazing vids on youtube.
Worth giving it a go , glass is quite expensive. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:12 »
All the panes in my greenhouse are derived from "standard" horticultural glass which is supplied in 2'X2' (610mmX610mm) sheets; most are entire sheets, others are cut down or shaped from the same sized standard sheets.

If you are lucky at least some of the old sheets will be standard size (and so will your greenhouse!)
It obviously depends on which sheets need replacing; having worked with old glass in the past I can confirm that old (and cold!) glass is difficult to cut successfully so if you have complicated triangular shapes to replace I would suggest going to a glazier. If you only need to make a single cut you could try your luck but warm it up first, wear gloves and use a good quality cutter.

Good luck!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 16:50 »
If you're looking at funny shapes (triangles etc) I would seriously think about buying some twinwall polycarbonate - easy to work with, cuts with a stanley knife. I was lucky enough to get enough scraps off other people to do several tricky bits and I had no problem fitting it into frames with glass above or below. Also very easy to drill holes in for pipes/grapes etc!

xx
Greenhouse glazing help

Started by Slugmonster on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 15:26
by Hillbillypop
xx
Greenhouse glazing

Started by supervegman on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 21:28
by Stree
xx
Greenhouse Glazing Strip

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 22:13
by peterjf
xx
glazing greenhouse what order

Started by hanssg on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 21:43
by hanssg

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 39 queries.