Peat pots
0 (0%)
other
1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

What pots do you use for your seeds?

• 20 Replies

solway cropper

Re: What pots do you use for your seeds?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 21:52 »
As others say, it depends what seed I'm sowing. I find normal seed trays a little shallow for a lot of stuff so I use those plastic trays that supermarkets sell mushrooms in. Just pop some drain holes in the bottom and you have a seed tray twice as deep as normal. Small coleslaw tubs can also be used to provide clear lids for plastic plant pots to create a kind of mini-greenhouse effect.

veggieman

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:55 »
I use all sorts of plastic containers that come with things I buy in the supermarket.
I also use those ones that they sell the mushrooms in as well. They are a good size and I must have about 40 of them now as I hate seeing them being put aside to be thrown away.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 11:53 »
Thank you for all your replies. I have at least learned that  recycling plastic pots from other items is better than buying.
Before this thread I was going to buy the 40 small pots you can get from the garden center which I had seen for sale at £12+ in a seed catalogue but at £3.99 in Homebase.... a big difference in price there.

I want to try planting singke seeds as much as possible to get rid  of the need of thinning so will be using the paper pots also.

Thank you all for your help

Ma x

toxorebel

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 13:16 »
Freecycle (other freebie trading sites are available) is very good for getting pots/trays.  I picked up a load from a guy the other day and I regularly see people offering them.

zazen999

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 20:33 »
Thank you for all your replies. I have at least learned that  recycling plastic pots from other items is better than buying.
Before this thread I was going to buy the 40 small pots you can get from the garden center which I had seen for sale at £12+ in a seed catalogue but at £3.99 in Homebase.... a big difference in price there.

I want to try planting singke seeds as much as possible to get rid  of the need of thinning so will be using the paper pots also.

Thank you all for your help

Ma x

For single seeds, I find modules from Wilko really good value... I end up using half and cutting them up and giving them away anyway so why spend a bomb?

And if you catch a good day at a wilkos sale you can get quite a stash for very little cash.

rowlandwells

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 17:54 »
hi Ma
modules /Potts/and peat pots for some seed all my seeds are set in pots or trays before planting out  ::) ::) ::)

xx
Are there any seeds that I can grow now in pots

Started by newbiegrower on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 19:46
by WG.
xx
growing seeds in paper pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 14:56
by bigben
xx
very long sprouts on seeds pots

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 20:26
by loubylou29
xx
Starting radish and spring onion seeds in pots?

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 08:56
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.598 seconds with 42 queries.