Know thy enemy

• 9 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Know thy enemy
« on: November 22, 2010, 18:17 »
Hi

I found this website which is easy to use and informative without being verbose.

www.thefoxwebsite.org

While I don't expect many friends of the sandy whiskered gentleman here ultimately foxes do what they do because they're just trying to live their lives. I've found this site useful as it has told me what it is the foxes are trying to do and when they're trying to do it. Obviously, I just wish it wouldn't involve my girls as the main course.

Pertelotte

8doubles

Re: Know thy enemy
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 19:38 »
Quote, the economic impact of fox predation on released pheasants is probably small ..........................predation by foxes caused about 3% of pheasant losses, end quote.

3% of 20 million pheasants poults that cost around £3.50 each in 2008.

And those are foxes that avoided the gamekeepers rifle.

Without the British Gamekeeper our coops would collapse under the weight of foxes.

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 19:58 »
Thanks for the link Pertelotte, a very interesting website.

Prevention is the main objective but if birds free range it's almost impossible to prevent against predators including foxes. However because they are usually nocturnal predators the main thing to ensure is that coops and runs are made fox proof.

In over 20 years I haven't seen a fox in my garden but I know they are around as I had a pheasant buried in the ground last year and occasionally I can smell their scent.

peter rooster

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 20:10 »
Hi

On one of our shoot farms that joins to a town we have a pheasant pen that the farmer keeps an eye on. The other night whilst checking the pen the farmer caught a fox carrying a chicken :mad: from the chicken run. It paid the price along with 3 others all within a couple of hours! Often now it is the town fox that moves towards the country!
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11 »
I live in a terrace row and have never sen foxes in our garden. I have seen alot of dead ones on the roads round our way recently. It gives me a morbid Feeling of happyness knowing it's another one I haven't got to worry about. 
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 09:53 »
I think the Fox is a beautiful creature, however I've lost hens to him over the years. I think I'm fairly ambivalent about him. I wish him no harm but make sure I shut my hens and ducks up every single night at dusk and if I can't be there to do it I arrange for someone else to. I have no desire to improve his lot.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 11:35 »
please note that they can strike at any time not just in the early evenings  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 12:47 »
Good point well made, Joyfull.  I have seen foxes around at all times of day, particularly when it gets colder and they get hungrier.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 17:17 »
I still think an electric fake hen rigged up to 240 v would be enough to deter or even better permenantly prevent the fox just switch it on at night an remove the bodies in the morning when you let the hens out.

Junie

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 07:36 »
I live in the country and have lost 4 hens last year, 4 this.  Last years attack was at 1.10 pm, the hens were in the field, we were out in the garden having lunch, I will never forget that noise, we lost 4 in one go!
This year, all attacks have taken place around midday, and one day I saw a fox sitting next to the pen at 12.30 when I returned home.  I am sure this is not a freed urban fox as I cannot think that the french would do that.
The losses led to my rooster becoming extremely over protective and he would attack us whenever we got within 10 metres of his girls....  He went in the pot, and my girls now stay in their pen - which will be extended next year with electric poultry netting.

Page created in 0.777 seconds with 31 queries.