Snow drops - help!

• 5 Replies

isobel

Snow drops - help!
« on: November 22, 2010, 16:39 »
Can anyone tell me if it would be impossible to get some snowdrops put in now with any hope of them coming up (even without flowers!) this winter? I am a bit desperate (and very ignorant about snow drops clearly!) but in a fix: my kind neighbours split their snow drops and gave me a bucket full earlier this year. Due to pressures of time and a million other projects they got overlooked and left in a big flower pot. Then someone came to help in the garden and kindly repotted my Camellia in the big pot...no-one has any clue where the snow drops went! My neighbours are under the impression I have planted them. I am too embarrassed to tell them what happened and they will be looking over my fence to feast their eyes on the flowers. I blush, but is there any way to cobble a solution together other than buying plastic ones?!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Snow drops - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 17:03 »
You may be able to find some already planted in pots - so perhaps you could stick a few pots into the ground and then replant later in the year.

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

spottymint

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 20:52 »
Hi & welcome

The last few springs I have seen pots in the G/C or mine came cheaply from Morrisons.  :)

:)

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 14:45 »
i will be planting s/d bulbs in the next day or so although planting snow drops in the green (with there leaves still on ) is the best way of guaranteeing success they can still be planted as bulbs the success rate is lower but over 50% should come through you may not get any flowers the first year but you will the following and successive years  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 22:27 »
I got mne in earlier and they've got 4/5 inches of green but they've been dug up by squirrels trying to plant the monkey nuts that some neighbour feeds them. Every pot and hanging basket!!!! I've meshed them all but they still manage to get under! They'd better not touch my tulips I've just put in some borders.......grrrrr :mad:

isobel

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 20:47 »
Thank you everyone, the suggestion about getting some in pots and putting them into the ground is a really good one, I hadn't thought of that - phew! Now all I have to do is try and get the same variety, my neighbours' snow drop flower heads are enormous!!

xx
Snow drops

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 17:01
by BLOOMING LOVELY
xx
Weeping fig; drops leaves in re-potting shock!

Started by JayG on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 12:48
by catllar
xx
Too much snow!!!

Started by lilou on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post December 15, 2010, 08:34
by aikenjones
xx
Glory of the Snow

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 17:20
by sion01

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 36 queries.