i am seriously missing my allotment!

• 115 Replies

savbo

Re: i am seriously missing my allotment!
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2010, 07:45 »
surely the point about AA is that you want to give up. Aren't we more like an alcoholics' winetasting circle?

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2010, 08:08 »
Lucky Chritmas is here or other than work - what would I do with my time.

But then I suppose-  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merry Christmas

lacewing

« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2010, 09:11 »
I've swapped buying clothes, shoes, makeup and hair do's,   for spades, forks rakes, seeds, fertilizer and compost. I sometimes buy the odd old jumper in the charity shop, just to replace the one with all the holes.  If there is treatment for this sort of behaviour, I'm not sure that I want it.
Merry Christmas to one and all!, :)  and  thanks for all the advice and help during the past year.  
Slante!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:57 by lacewing »
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2010, 11:59 »
My most contented moments come when I'm sat with a glass of whisky on a sunny evening in my garden surveying all the wonderful things growing around me.

Maybe I need TWO help forums!

Merry Christmas to all!  :happy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mick thomas

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2010, 12:19 »
Hi Zazen, I notice you have a Shardlow address.It that the Shardlow just outside Derby.If it is it's an amazing coincidence. I started my love of gardening in that village nearly 50 years ago working for my uncle on his nursery when I first left school. There wasn't anything he didn't know about growing tomatoes. Had I believe over 30, fifty foot greenhouses full of the little critters.Live in the wilds of norfolk now , good peaty soil on the fens here though.  Small world. Merry Christmas.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2010, 13:25 »
On the plot this morning, I thought to myself, this is what Christmas is all about. Moving barrow loads of horse manure  :lol:
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

mick thomas

« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2010, 14:18 »
I envy you folks that have Sheds and greenhouses on your plots.

One of the reasons for my giving up the allotment was that we weren't allowed anything other than a Council bought Tool shed, about 4 foot high.

This meant being exposed to all weathers and the place is deserted in Winter, as you can imagine.

No permanent structures allowed, nothing over 6 foot high (cages and such) and even then they have to be taken down at the end of the season....

Now, I can build what I want, where I want plus have a proper Shed and access to the kitchen anytime I fancy a cuppa.  :)

Does anyone else have similar restrictions imposed by their Allotment Association?

I've swapped buying clothes, shoes, makeup and hair do's,   for spades, forks rakes, seeds, fertilizer and compost. I sometimes buy the odd old jumper in the charity shop, just to replace the one with all the holes.  If there is treatment for this sort of behaviour, I'm not sure that I want it.
Merry Christmas to one and all!, :)  and  thanks for all the advice and help during the past year. 
Slante!
What you have is a cure not a condition, this cure is especially suitable for anyone who is stuck in the fast lane of life.beleive me it works.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2010, 14:38 »
On the plot this morning, I thought to myself, this is what Christmas is all about. Moving barrow loads of horse manure  :lol:

I still can't see my allotments. :( :( :(
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kenny199

« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2010, 17:54 »
I envy you folks that have Sheds and greenhouses on your plots.

One of the reasons for my giving up the allotment was that we weren't allowed anything other than a Council bought Tool shed, about 4 foot high.

This meant being exposed to all weathers and the place is deserted in Winter, as you can imagine.

No permanent structures allowed, nothing over 6 foot high (cages and such) and even then they have to be taken down at the end of the season....

Now, I can build what I want, where I want plus have a proper Shed and access to the kitchen anytime I fancy a cuppa.  :)

Does anyone else have similar restrictions imposed by their Allotment Association?

I've swapped buying clothes, shoes, makeup and hair do's,   for spades, forks rakes, seeds, fertilizer and compost. I sometimes buy the odd old jumper in the charity shop, just to replace the one with all the holes.  If there is treatment for this sort of behaviour, I'm not sure that I want it.
Merry Christmas to one and all!, :)  and  thanks for all the advice and help during the past year. 
Slante!
What you have is a cure not a condition, this cure is especially suitable for anyone who is stuck in the fast lane of life.beleive me it works.
Our district council will not allow us sheds,only containers 3ft high max.I built a hovel to shelter from rain and store tools,it was 4ft 2in letter from town council telling me either lower structure or remove it.I went to town hall to ask if I dug down 1ft2in if that would be allowed ,yes no probs.That is what I have done and now clad hovel in black plastic .It looks a complete eyesore,really pig ugly but it has been approved.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2010, 19:56 »
blooming ridiculous rules. :mad:
LISA X X X

Paul Plots

« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 01:11 »
Quoting Kenny199:

"Our district council will not allow us sheds,only containers 3ft high max.I built a hovel to shelter from rain and store tools,it was 4ft 2in letter from town council telling me either lower structure or remove it.I went to town hall to ask if I dug down 1ft2in if that would be allowed ,yes no probs.That is what I have done and now clad hovel in black plastic .It looks a complete eyesore,really pig ugly but it has been approved."

Strangely enough on our sea-front there is a very old, well kept, set of public loos that are also partially sunk into the ground!

The reason for this is a very old restriction on building on the site opposite our pier: Any construction must not block the view and, as the land once belonged to the chap who first developed our little town, it had to be followed!
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kenny199

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2010, 17:06 »
The old loo s by the Peace Statue in Brighton and Hove are similar.

Paul Plots

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 19:09 »
You can tell we are missing our plots in Sussex... we've resorted to discussing public loos!!!  :lol:

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2010, 19:37 »
I'm going down to my allotment tomorrow, I don't care if it is frozen, or soaking or cold or miserable. Barring 3 ft of snow i am going to go sit in my green house for an hour or so!
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Paul Plots

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2010, 20:41 »
I'm going down to my allotment tomorrow, I don't care if it is frozen, or soaking or cold or miserable. Barring 3 ft of snow i am going to go sit in my green house for an hour or so!

If Nottingham wasn't so far I would ask if I could join you with a flask!

(I really could do with a lengthy quiet sit down)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 00:56 by Learner »

xx
There is a thread missing.

Started by legendaryone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:54
by Annie
xx
Pea flowers missing

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 15:28
by Salmo
xx
the missing bean

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:17
by Paul Plots
xx
Missing Radishes

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 17:04
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 38 queries.