hen types

• 4 Replies

Miss Pepperpot

hen types
« on: November 21, 2010, 16:40 »
i'm new to the hen world and dont know which breed to get. check out this link to see a previous topic bout which breeds I'm getting also check out the link on there because my mum thinks i should get a cream legbar because they lay blue eggs. the website doesnt say they are friendly and all the other ones I'm getting are. :) i am only getting six cos the coop is only big enough for twelve n i now you have to introduce the same number of hens as you already have got because of the pecking order - (learned from you lovley people) so i would have to swap one of the hens i alredy want to get for it. my problem is do i stay with my instinct and get a better layer and a friendly chicken or a chuck that doesnt lay much and has nice blue eggs but might not be friendly :s i am after buying chickens for the eggs but also as pets
please help
freya xxx
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=68079.msg779467#msg779467
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 17:06 by Miss Pepperpot »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: hen types
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 17:12 »
Hi Freya and welcome. I have never had cream legbars so cant comment on them but I do have araucanas (which is where the legbars get the blue egg laying gene from) and although mine will come close to me they do not like being handled. Also araucanas can be a little bit bossy towards others and do like to free range. Hopefully somebody will come along who has legbars to let you know about them. You can introduce less than the amount you have already but do not introduce just one and also the introduction should be over a period of time and not on the day you get them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Miss Pepperpot

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 17:19 »
Thank you Joyfull I'm trying to find out as much as i can before I make any decisions
Freya xx

chickadee

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 17:55 »
i have a cream legbar who lays me lovely blue eggs ( in moult at the moment so having a break) and she is the least friendly of my four hens .. all hybrids.. if i need to handle her i prepare for the chase and she screams like i am murdering her, she is a pretty hen with a funny personality and i would certainly have more in the future
chickens out

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 18:44 »
I have a cream legbar aswell, shes my newest addition and ive had her a few mths now, she settled in really quickly and lays gorgeous blue eggs, wot i love most about her is she is soooo friendly and is always following me about and very clever aswell, when i give the corn out she often gets bullied being bottom of the pack so i took to giving her her own little handful away from the other 3, now she waits patiently and stays with me until i put hers down, shes very very sweet, definatley reccomend them, there beautiful girls to look at aswell.  nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.