Nematodes

• 3 Replies

Coach

• Experienced Member
Nematodes
« on: November 21, 2010, 15:09 »
Surely (it might be your name) adding nematodes to the plants and soil will upset the balance of nature. Grey squirrels were introduced to this country and it has almost kicked the Red Squirrel out, Japanese Knot weed is a definite no no, Harlequin ladybirds are taking over from our natural species, New Zealand flat worms are eating our worms. :ohmy:

So what is going to happen in a few years when Nemy toads multiply and take over the world??? ::)
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

SG6

Re: Nematodes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 16:18 »
Suspect they are natural to the UK in any case. We have only been isolated from the rest of Europe for a few thousand years. Not enough to have a completely different ecology. What you do is add them to the ground in a concentration so that there are a lot more of them to kill off the pests that you want them to infect. Basically increase the chances of infection.

Also they say not to mix and water in unless the temperature is above 7C as they will not survive. So it appears that they die at low temperatures, like present. I would guess that the eggs are what over winters.

The UK is separated by 22-25 miles from Europe and butterflies cross that gap annually.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 22:11 »
Nematodes do not last that long, you have to re-apply. So going on that , they do no lasting damage.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 17:11 »
May I reply Fatcat?  "They do no lasting damage".  As far as their prey/victims are concerned, your a long time dead.  :tongue2:   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Nematodes

Started by wapello on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 00:15
by mrsbean
xx
When and how do you apply nematodes?

Started by liz from the fizz on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 18:13
by ytyynycefn
xx
Frogs and nematodes ?

Started by andtiggertoo on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 10:48
by chrissie B
xx
what do people think of using Nematodes

Started by flowerpot girl on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 12:17
by lettice

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 28 queries.