Eggs

• 5 Replies

sunny side up

Eggs
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:58 »
Hello All, I am new to chucks and would love some info please on when my Buff Orps might lay an egg they were hatched on the 1st May this year, I have had them since July so they are now 29 weeks and not an egg in sight. They have a large garden 50 metres or so to roam freely all day and a quite small coup for night time. Does anyone think the house might be too small ?? I have a trio as I thought this would make a good start to my chicken empire lol.  Any info at all would be very much appreciated, also I was thinking of getting an older hen to show them how its done ??? Y/N

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:06 »
purebreeds often do't lay until they reach 35 weeks and even then they can wait until spring when the days get longer  :). Don't worry it will be worth the wait.
Welcome to the forum by the way  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:11 »
Hi Sunny Side Up,
I am new too to this site, I have Orpringtons and got them in Sep last year at about 18wks and they started laying Feb '10
Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

evie2

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 14:09 »
Hello Sunny and Pol, welcome to the forum :D :D :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 04:21 »
Orps aren't very prolific layers so I doubt they will lay now until the days start to lengthen in early spring.
HF
Truth through science.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 20:42 »
found out today that orpingtons, brahmas and big breeds dont often begin laying before 6-8 months, so dont worry too much!!
CC x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.