Water butts freezing?

• 21 Replies

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: Water butts freezing?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 14:22 »
I have 5 200 Litre Sankey butts, I have never emptied them and they have been fine for the last 7 years with no protection at all from the weather.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 14:36 »
I suspect that being made of plastic water butts are bound to become more brittle as they age and therefore more likely to split if the water freezes solid.

My 3 are OK (although 2 of them are nearly new.)

Makes mental note to think about emptying them if a serious and prolonged freeze-up happens again (so as good as forgotten already!)  :wacko:  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 19:15 »
One of my blue plastic ones split at the bottom. The whole barrel froze to the bottom last Winter, the first time ever. It seems to depend on where you are in the UK.

Gandan57

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 22:19 »
As long as there is a small air gap at the top of the butt, when the water freezes it will expand upwards.

It may be prudent before a prolonged cold snap to draw off a small amount of the water.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 22:23 »
some of the ones that froze didn't have any lids on, so I don't think that would help :(

ex-cavator

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 23:09 »
I think its a case of the degree of freezing. Plastic has a certain amount of 'give' and will normally withstand the expansion caused by a certain amount of ice - say, a couple of inches on the top & the little that may form around the outside during a normal UK winter's night - providing it's not old & become brittle, as they do. The extra precaution of adding a plastic drinks bottle or tennis ball to take up the expansion of the ice will help.

But, given the extreme and prolonged conditions of severe frost we experienced this year, when it is likely the entire contents froze solid, it is perhaps unsurprising that something had to give. If such conditions are forecast, it would always be wise to empty the container or to cover it / bring it inside  ;)

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 09:06 »
Just to update you. I have 4 water butts all around 200ltrs. Put in plastic bottles and none split despite being full and temps of down to -12c.

Seems to show that not all butts are the same?

WG

xx
keeping water in water butts

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 11:25
by Ivor Backache
xx
Water Butts

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 14:00
by paintedlady
xx
Fish in water butts

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 11:15
by flowerlady
xx
Emptying water butts

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 21:30
by Christine

Page created in 1.039 seconds with 32 queries.