Red mite finally killed off with a new treatment.

• 34 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Red mite finally killed off with a new treatment.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:43 »
I too would be interested in hearing more about this  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

swisschicken

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 10:48 »
Ha ha, you're right, I did nit give enough detail. As the mites feed on the blood of the birds, they do not like the taste as a result of the natural herbs and literally pack their bags and leave. Some of mine were really on their last legs even though they were still fairly young, but this stuff sorted them out. The reason the producer does not sell normally to the public is because he sells in bulk to the producers of those ghastly supermarket eggs, I think he sees it is not so viable to Joe Bloggs, but if there are any whole sellers on this site, perhaps they could buy in bulk and then sell it on? Incidently, the scientist was an agricultural scientist for a large Swiss pharmaceutical company for many years in the division of natural remedies.

swisschicken

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:52 »
Seems I cannot yet mail you directly with details as I need to have a few more posts, but at this rate I'm getting there - great site incidentally!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:08 »
Thank you ehs284.  I would like to point out too that it is a synthetic pymethrin and is no more dangerous to use or handle than the other products mentioned.  Any chemical can be harmful if not used as directed and feel that my comments have been taken out of context. Of corse I kept my birds away from the hen house while the product was drying which took very little time.  I am not defending my comments further as I think some are getting a little defensive in their questioning so I will leave it there.  I mentioned this product for another choice for those whom are interested.  Even natural products can be toxic if used incorrectly. 
mrs.ploppy

fethoboy

• live life to the full.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 14:13 »
fethoboy if you read my post creosote is only for authorised people not people who keep chickens as a hobby as it is carceogenic and even then it is for the treatment of previously treated timber. We cannot condone it's use on this forum.

sorry i spoke,creosote has been used by me for years,its the only thing that will kill red mite used twice a year you will not get these killers,every poultry keeper i know uses creosote you are the only forum that does not,i have only been on here a few times and if thats your attitude then i will not post again,

steve.
call ducks for me.

TeaPots

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 15:29 »
I hesitate to post on this thread. I hate it when thing start to get unpleasant. As I know many of you, I am CERTAIN that nobody means to be offensive/aggressive about this touchy subject.

I personally LOVE to hear about new products, and as with ALL members, indeed all chicken keepers, we hear loads of advice, and it is up to us which ideas we are willing to try, which we think might be cruel or dangerous, and which might just be expensive rubbish. If nobody dares to come on here and tell us about these things, then it takes away or at least limits our choices. 

On the other hand, the moderators of this site have to post warnings, and cannot be seen to encourage practices that have been banned for for whatever reasons. even if SOME of them use SOME of these products themselves, they HAVE to protect the site, and of course protect the chickens. We need to know of the dangers too, before making our choices.

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 15:34 »
fethoboy if you read my post creosote is only for authorised people not people who keep chickens as a hobby as it is carceogenic and even then it is for the treatment of previously treated timber. We cannot condone it's use on this forum.

sorry i spoke,creosote has been used by me for years,its the only thing that will kill red mite used twice a year you will not get these killers,every poultry keeper i know uses creosote you are the only forum that does not,i have only been on here a few times and if thats your attitude then i will not post again,

steve.

No need to get upset Fethoboy, Joy's not averse to the old black arts herself so you better watch out or she'll turn you into a toad she's from Lincolnshire you know ::).  Creosote is like other things we all do but we don't like to talk about it :blush:
HF

HF
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 18:27 »
I think he's turned into a frog and hopped it HF  ;) :lol:

It's me rather than Joyfull who is a member of a coven  8)

evie2

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 20:34 »
So far in my chicken keeping life, I've not suffered from (touch wood) RM but I'm always interested in treatments used and I'm very interested in the one Swisschicken's told us about.

I'm also very grateful to our mods for explaining the ins and outs of using chemicals around our birds, pets and we humans :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 23:25 »
Similar problems come up in the garden - chemicals that are absolutely safe get banned without a useful replacement. However we feel in private, we really can't condone breaking the law. Apart from anything else, the site is too large to hide under the radar.

So my hypothetical friend won't be admitting stocking up on Derris before it was banned :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

the toolman

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 22:43 »
Hi everyone, There is a guy who lives down the road from me and he has had chucks for years and years, and his dad before him, he has always used a steam cleaner to get rid of anything in the coops and sheds that he has and he has never been plagued by redmite or anything else. As he says " If it can withstand 100 degrees then it has the right to stay there lolol" but never been troubled, clean them regular and you wont get any biuld ups of mites and stuff.
He also told me that late in the year he collects conkers and puts them in the sheds as they keep out spiders but makes sure the chucks cant get to them, I have heard about this before.
the toolman. 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 23:30 »
I've heard about conkers driving off spiders before (I'm phobic about them) - the steam cleaner sounds a good idea

swisschicken

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 07:50 »
All,
Check out the site www.herbal-vet.com, it works a treat and it's natural.  I used a steam cleaner and failed as the mites can get into cracks quite deeply and avoid the direct heat burn, thus survive.
I have found the only way to eradicate them is for them to leave the chickens due to their blood not tasting so appetizing though the herbal medication.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43 »
Really you need an industrial steam cleaner (luckily for me we have just purchased a new one for work  ;)) the household ones often don't have enough power to blast into the nook and crannies sufficiently.

8doubles

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 09:01 »
Really you need an industrial steam cleaner (luckily for me we have just purchased a new one for work  ;)) the household ones often don't have enough power to blast into the nook and crannies sufficiently.

The trouble with steam cleaners and almost anything else that 'blasts' is that live mite get blasted out too, and crawl back later. You still need a chemical treatment to kill the survivors.

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
red mite treatment?

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 15:40
by patsyg323
xx
Red mite treatment

Started by Spadefighter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 22:25
by Bonniebean
question
Scaly leg mite treatment???

Started by Pretty Chick on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 22:25
by TashaH

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.