onion sets and seed potatoes

• 11 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
onion sets and seed potatoes
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:15 »
well those of you who are getting to know me know im new to this and my imagination sometimes runs away with me.  So heres the next one.

I have grown potatoes in the past from  ones which started shooting in my veg rack and know that that works to an extent.

BUT

If we buy small onions (sets) and small potatoes (Seeds) why cant we just buy new baby potatoes and a bag of Asda smart price onions (which are smaller than normal) plant these out and the potatoes grow more baby new potatoes and the onions just grow bigger?

Thanks Jools

prakash_mib

Re: onion sets and seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 10:51 »
you will certainly get varied response from here on putting in supermarket stuffs. I would be very careful on them as they would carry disease (not fatal if eaten  :D but for growing). thats why we pay a premium on certified seeds from the producers.

If we buy small onions (sets) and small potatoes (Seeds) why cant we just buy new baby potatoes and a bag of Asda smart price onions (which are smaller than normal) plant these out and the potatoes grow more baby new potatoes and the onions just grow bigger?

the onions acts as reservoirs for sprouting and put whatever it has in new plant the final bulb will be a new one (you wont get a bigger bulb from the current one I think)
with onions they might carry allium virus which damages your plot to greater extent.

on potatoes different potatoes grows/produces different all over UK. because we have varied climate all over. It is better (if you want a good produce) to get a proper certified seed potato which grows well in your region.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21 »
If you find an onion you particularly like the look of, plant one up and wait for the seed head.  Plant those and - bingo.  :D  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 12:52 »
A lot of supermarket veg is treated to stop (or slow) it sprouting. I think that if it worked well, we would all be doing it as a matter of course and seed suppliers would go out of business. My preference is to buy certified seed, then at least I know it will give me a return for my investment (assuming the weather and critters on the plot don't interfere  :) ).

I should also say that I'm always up for an experiment or two...  :D
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 12:59 »
growing shop bought potatoes will work, but you risk introducing disease...proper seed potatoes are certified disease free, so at least you start with healthy material.

Planting an onion will not produce more onions....it will only produce a flower and then a seed head. As kleftiwallah says, you can save the seeds and grow onions from seed in future years if you wanted to do that.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 14:56 »
[
Planting an onion will not produce more onions....it will only produce a flower and then a seed head. As kleftiwallah says, you can save the seeds and grow onions from seed in future years if you wanted to do that.
[/quote]

sorry to be a bit thick herre but if planting an onion does not make onions then how do everlasting onions work?

Chicken Pete

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 15:29 »
I can inform you that last year we forgot to order a couple of garlic bulbs :( so I brought 2 from the fresh veg stand in our local s/mkt - bad mistake as we only got spindly little cloves which were no good.  Last month we put in 'proper' garlic and they are sprouting already :)
So we learnt that only buying from the recognised suppliers is a much safer bet.

prakash_mib

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 17:06 »
[

sorry to be a bit thick herre but if planting an onion does not make onions then how do everlasting onions work?
[/quote]
It is an allium family which looks/feels/taste like onions. onions/shallots/welsh onions/garlic are from allium genus but different species  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 17:20 »
Everlasting or perennial onions are a different species as prakash says. They can be useful as a winter standby, but will not produce the sort of bulbs that you grow normally, or buy in the shops.............they are more like fat spring onions.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 10:34 »
Thanks all, yet again you are all stars.

timdunn

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 13:36 »
I planted organic shallots from sainsburys this year and they gave good results. I presume that the organic ones won't have been treated with any growth-supressant chemicals..still a risk of bringing disease in though  :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 14:02 »
with onion white rot becomimg more prevalent countrywide (and once you have it you cannot grow onions at all) - I really don't think it's worth taking the risk  ???

xx
Seed Potatoes and Onion Sets!

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 13:33
by freefolk
xx
Onion Sets & Potatoes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 19:20
by sunshineband
xx
T & M heat treated onion sets going to seed

Started by mctoon on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2017, 23:37
by Salmo
xx
Storing seed potatoes, onions and garlic sets

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:21
by The Golden Heap

Page created in 0.519 seconds with 38 queries.