our first egg - a beauty!

• 7 Replies

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
our first egg - a beauty!
« on: November 16, 2010, 07:09 »
Hi all,
just to say that a little warm gift was waiting for me this morning - Alice the leghorn I think - had laid a beautiful white egg!  It is sitting pride of place in the kitchen!!!  :D  Now, it is as clean as anything, but I have two questions really... well three
1. She laid it on the roosting bars... how can I encourage her to lay in the nest box?  It has Hemcore in it and should be comfy...
2. Does it need washing?  There is only a little mark on it and otherwise it is pristine.
3. How do you store an egg?  Is it narrow bit up or down?  Or does it matter?

Have taken pictures and will make it my mission tonight to upload them - both of the girls and the egg!!
Yey!!!! :D :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: our first egg - a beauty!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07 »
to encourage her to lay in the proper place you can place a pot/rubber/plastic egg in there or if you have none of these then a golf ball will be fine. Do not wash your egg as this will remove the protectice bloom - only clean it just before use  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:25 »
Morning.

I've only been keeping chickens a few weeks so can't really answer any of your questions but I still get really excited every time I get an egg. Congrats!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:53 »
Many congrats on the egg

If you keep the nesting box clean (daily poo pick) the eggs will keep clean. You can wipe off any accidental bits off with your cuff  :D or bit of straw or kitchen paper but generally they're clean  :)

Mine lay them on the roosting bars when they're jostling to be first to get out the door in the morning  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42 »
Very many congratulations on your first egg. Will there be a squabble as to who eats it or do you have first dibs?

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:53 »
Wonderful  :)

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 12:55 »
That first egg is always a joy. Wonderful. I personally store my eggs pointy end down in an egg rack but not in the fridge. As the shelf life of an egg is so very long (3 weeks or more) I don't like to refrgerate but many people do. Also they don't stay in the house more than a day or two before they are either eaten, given away or sold at the gate.
 :)

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 13:51 »
 :)i wipe my eggs over with a damp cloth if they are mucky at the moment its normally just a bit of mud on the shell
 but my daughter reckons you shouldn't wash them till your ready to eat them
i keep mine in the fridge
as was suggested by joyfull golf ball ect will bring them to the nest box  :D
i hope you enjoy your first egg as much as i did  :D

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 29 queries.