Bumper Harvests

• 4 Replies

ruffmesiter_69

Bumper Harvests
« on: July 24, 2007, 21:12 »
Hey guys  / GIrls,

Are you having bumper harvests this year compared to last. We definitley think that we are getter better crops than we thought we were going to get. With large potatoes, runner beans and onions etc.

How are your doing better? worse? trying to find places for all your veg, or is your lader empty.

Other news this week, swedes are being eaten alive, runner bean harvest, shallots leaves have gone over, and the pumpkins are taking over the world.

Regards
Lottieblogs

Ice

• muck spreader
Bumper Harvests
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 21:46 »
Potatoes are the best ever crop.  My onions are huge, much bigger that previous attempts.  Salad stuff ok but coriander has bolted.  Runners good after a slow start and my butternut squash, from a supermarket seed has produced babies, aaaaaah.  The courgettes are struggling but still producing mis-shapen edible veg and some completely rotted.  Even the toms now have some fruit on them, but not much.  So not a complete disaster, but could have been better.
Cheese makes everything better.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Bumper Harvests
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:51 »
Everything is doing ok in the West of Scotland, however, I did notice that my Spinach has run to seed and I still can't grow decent Okra.
Ah well ! There is always next year !

ruffmesiter_69

Bumper Harvests
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 17:53 »
i would say even par, the things which were bad last year seem to be btter and the excellent hings are not as good.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Bumper Harvests
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 20:10 »
I agree , last year the warmth suited the med!! plants, tomatoes, courgettes etc,we had good storing onions ( due to the lack of water -  its the water content that will be a problem for storing onions this year, after all its the water that causes the moulds and decay to develop, may give size but big soft onions dont store !! )

I have been growing veg for 32 years !! can't believe it !! but true !! Never battled with water like this in the summer . if it was warm too we'd be OK but it's been like October for nearly 3 months now here !!

Veg likes warmth and wet ideally, last yearwe had heat and dry this year cool and wet .

Both extremes just as bad , swings and roundabouts, germination problems this year have been perplexing though .
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

xx
Two chilli harvests in one year?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2011, 13:14
by shokkyy
xx
Soft fruit harvests - How has yours been?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 11:32
by starmoonlilly
xx
Bumper crop of strawberries

Started by weirdsowing on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 22:39
by surbie100
xx
Bumper crop of spuds

Started by JRM on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2017, 09:34
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 27 queries.