Major earthworks

• 7 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Major earthworks
« on: November 14, 2010, 20:02 »
Hi everyone,
                      I havent posted on here for a while due to working away and one thing or another.

I would like some advice about moving fruit plants and trees during the dormant period.

I have moved :-

a fan trained apple tree that didnt produce any fruit this year

A victoria plum bought this year. 5ft high

2 apricots bought this year. one 5ft, one 6ft

a 5 yr old pear. 6 ft high

a 4 yr old Grape vine (grown outdoors) 12 ft length grown over pergola

A cherry tree, bought this year. 5ft high

A 4 yr old clump of rhubarb

2 yr old strawberries

and a 2 yr old blackberry with 4 canes coming from it 6 ft in length.

I`ve also....accidently, cut down to ground level, 2 autumn fruiting raspberries, and 4 summer fruiting.   

I dont know the varieties of each fruit.
 I have taken as big a rootball as possible, but havent pruned back any of them, even the grape. Do I need to prune back, or should I let nature take its course and see if any of them survive. To be honest, I`m not holding out to much hope for the grape....or the one of the apricots. I`ll have to wait till spring to find out. It may cost me a lot of money if none of them survive

Heres hoping
Has anyone moved something similar and did it survive.

evie2

Re: Major earthworks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 20:07 »
Why did you move them?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 20:14 »
Timing of pruning: you should only prune stone fruits in summer, but can prune apple / pear now that they are dormant. 

Main targets should be any dead, diseased, damaged or duplicating branches.

All should survive but keep an eye on them if we have a very very hard winter, and make sure you water them properly for the next year (including non-frozen winter) as the stress of being moved will make them inherently a little more vulnerable.

PS Good to see you back  :)

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 15:06 »
Why did you move them?

Hi, thanks for posting

There are a couple of reasons.

The first is because when we moved in, we had a blank canvas and decided to build a large (for our garden) patio, with a pergola and grow a grape vine over it. I built it in the corner that got most sun, which didnt leave a lot of south facing border left for what I wanted to grow. As the time has passed, I`ve been buying plants/trees, and just sticking them where I thought they would be ok. Then realised I had an ecleptic mess. I have now totally redesigned the whole garden, moved the patio and made it smaller and have 60ft of extra s/sw facing border for my plants to benefit from.
It now looks 10X better and everything is in a nearly full sun position.

Second reason was that I wanted some of the plants to be planted at my new allotment that I have aquired this year....so really killed 2 birds with one stone....maybe literally

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 15:14 »
Timing of pruning: you should only prune stone fruits in summer, but can prune apple / pear now that they are dormant.  

Main targets should be any dead, diseased, damaged or duplicating branches.

All should survive but keep an eye on them if we have a very very hard winter, and make sure you water them properly for the next year (including non-frozen winter) as the stress of being moved will make them inherently a little more vulnerable.

PS Good to see you back  :)

Thanks for the welcome Yorkie

I did prune a couple of branches from the plum and apricots in the summer,  but the apricots started to weep from the cut, and died back a little, but the plum was fine.

Its good to hear that you think they all will survive, I just hope that I took enough a rootball to help them.
Is there anything I can do to help them IF we have a very very hard winter, like cover them with fleece. Which is the most important part to look after, the roots, or the top growth ??
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 15:27 by lfcevans »

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 14:46 »
As an update.

Everything .....except the gapevine and a small bay tree has survived.

Would anyone like to swap a small bay tree rooted cutting for something I have that they would like ??

I have tried 3 garden centres, and they have quite mature standard trees available but they cost a lot of money.

I have already replaced the grapvine with a small one from fleabay for the bargain price of £4 plus P+P

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 14:55 »
Are you sure the grapevine is dead? Mine has only started to show signs of life this week

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 14:56 »
Well.....There isnt any sign of life at all yet, but when i scraped the bark off part of it, it still looked green underneath. I`m not sure really now you say yours has only just started to show signs of life. I will leave it for a few more weeks and see what happens.

If its still alive, it just means I have 2 plants and not 1.

xx
MAjor help needed ?

Started by nicklord1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 22:34
by nicklord1
xx
help major onion problem

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 20:23
by goodegg
xx
major clean up today at the plot

Started by chickchook on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 01:09
by chickchook
xx
HELP NEEDED! Major flea beatle attack!

Started by mumvplus 3 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 08:57
by Flump

Page created in 0.715 seconds with 36 queries.