To die or not to die

• 17 Replies

pigeonpie

To die or not to die
« on: November 13, 2010, 23:05 »
So, poor little Georgie, one of the old ex-batts that have been with us about 18 months now, has been threatening to die for the past 6 months or so.  Instead we've lost 3 others (2 about the same age as her and 1 of the new ex-batts). 
She has absolutely no weight on her, her breast bone feels like a razor blade poking through her skin, her legs wouldn't even have a nibble on them and she sometimes falls over and can't get back up again.  We keep discussing whether we should put her out of her misery but she's just such a happy little fighter.
She waits to be carried down the slope from the hen house to the ground each morning and to be lifted up to bed each night.  If she thinks it's getting late and we may have forgotten her she comes and stands outside the patio doors or waits patiently at the bottom of the slope.  If she worries herself (she got amongst a shrub the other day and couldn't find a way out) or thinks she's being ignored she makes little noises almost like purrs.  She's spent most of the last month in the greenhouse in her very own living room of a potting tray filled with sawdust, a bowl of pellets (which she only occasionally eats), and treats (which she eats like there is no tomorrow) such as sun flower seeds, muesli grains (sugar and salt free, Dorset Cereals no less!), wheat, cooked veg, apples, etc.  She seems to eat reasonably well and her crop always feels healthy but she never seems to put any weight on.  She does have a dirty back end which I clean regularly and I did worm her only a few months back but does nice poohs in between, although often quite small.  When she first started acting out of sorts I did have a word with the vet and gave her some antibiotics which seemed to perk her up and got her eating again but she's just continued to lose weight despite continuing to eat.
I know she's probably coming to the end of her life and that she's a good age for an ex-batt but she just seems so determined to live and so grateful for any help I'm just wondering if there is anything else that I can do...

hillfooter

Re: To die or not to die
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:21 »
If you don't worm her with Flubenvet I suggest you use this.
I assume she doesn't lay so you could feed a higher protein diet such as the Garvo 717 fancy chicken feed.  You could also feed higher protein treats such as mealworms or tuna in brine and I'll add a multivit to her water.  Pasta and noodles will increase the energy intake.

Other than this there's probably not a lot you can do.

A antibiotic like Baytril will boost appetite for a period and help giving her a boost.

Don't overdo the supplements though.

As you say 3years old is a reasonable age for an exbatt anyway.

All the best
HF

Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:35 »
as HF says she is a good age and deserves the odd treat. Ex batts are of a type of hybrid that aren't developed to put weight on as they were never designed to be eaten just as egg laying machines  :(. Keep up the good work of lifting and cleaning her and continue with all the pampering you are doing a great job  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 12:31 »
She is a very lucky chook tto have you to care for her. I must admit reading about her made me cry because i had an ex bat just the same as her and she was a beautiful girl called judy. My neighbour is an artist and because she was so nice and gentle her painted her picture for me.
I would keep on doing what you are doing, she will let you know when she has had enough. With Judy she fell down and normaly she just got back up but when i went to her she could'nt stand so we had to let her go even when i held her up on her feet she could'nt hold herself right.
She will let you know. Enjoy her while you can. I am sending((((hugs))))

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 13:04 »
We are going through the same with our exbatt Jennifer, she has had a purple comb for months but still runs faster than the youngsters for treats, even though she gets lots more than the rest of them.
Keep up the pampering as suggested and the best of luck
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 19:18 »
Like any animal, I feel that you have to question their quality of life. If she can't continue to do all the things a chicken should be doing to keep her happy then it is time to go. As owners we should be strong enough to know when this time comes, they can't tell us it is our responsibility to know. I applaud everyone who gives a home to an ex-batt and just think, the time she has had with you is a bonus to her!
At the end of the day it is your call, but it's not about your feelings of losing the chicken, its about the chickens feelings!

steve
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 19:23 by Aunt Sally »

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 21:33 »
Thank you for all your kind comments and Hillfooter for your invaluable advice as always.  Yes, I only use Flubenvet for worming and she has treats of rice, pasta (cooked without salt of course) when there is some spare as well as a bit of meat and fish, she really likes mackerel!
Grenhouse, I understand completely what you are saying and have put other chickens out of their misery in the past without any hesitation.  I must say, she is getting to the point where that decision will have to be made but in the mean time I'm loathed to do it as she is so bright in herself, despite her body getting weaker.  At the moment I see her as a happy but elderly chicken and quite entitled to live her little life from the comfort of her "armchair" but as soon as she seems to be suffering then I will end it for her. 
I'm really going to miss her, she's been such a fighter!

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 22:06 »
She sounds like an very  elderly old lady, and she will probably just go to sleep one day and pass away quite happily.  She is the luckiest girl alive by the sounds of it, and has a wonderfully happy life  :)  She doesn't sound at the moment that she's suffering in the slightest  :)

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 22:26 »
If she currently seems happy, and you are still confident she can do all of the chickeny things that a chicken should do then leave her to it! Sounds like she has a cracking home, if only more animal owners thought as much of their pets!

steve

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 23:28 »
As a newbie to this chicken game I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to say how heart-warming your story is.  It's just wonderful to see people with such compassion, when so often we only hear about the unpleasant side of human nature.

What a lucky little hen to be spending the last days of her life knowing she is loved, and being so well cared for.

Good on you, pigeonpie.

pigeonpie

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 23:05 »

I just wanted to let you all know that we took the decision today and said a sad goodbye to Georgie.  The last few days she had started to struggle to hold herself upright and her wings had started to droop as the last of her energy ebbed away.  However, she maintained her cheery optimism to the end and had a lovely feast of all her favourite tit bits before the deed was done. 
The greenhouse is very empty without her.
 :(

heatherhsp

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 23:24 »
Oh I'm really sorry...  :(
But how lucky she was to have you care for her so well until the end.

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 03:10 »
Sorry to hear this but I'm sure you did the right thing and the best for Georgie.

HF

bantam novice

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 09:32 »
I'm so sorry, pigeonpie.  :(

You did all you could for Georgie and she had a lovely and cared-for life.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 09:35 »
So sorry but as said you did all you could and gave her a lovely chicken life

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 37 queries.