Supermarket Leeks

• 5 Replies

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Supermarket Leeks
« on: November 13, 2010, 15:07 »
I've had a fair few years growing leeks, and they've always been brilliant, I love growing them , they're pretty undemanding and creamed leaks with a roast dinner is one of my favourites.  This years haven't been so good though, I tried planting them in a tub instead of the beds as I'd read somewhere they do well, but I think I may have over filled it. 

My question though isn't related to those leaks, but the ones which I had to buy today for tomorrow's dinner...

Leeks that I've grown in the past have been thick, tallish but never straight.  I've also never had more than about 8" of white flesh on them, and then the leaves begin to green up and spread outwards.  The ones I saw in Te*co todayu though were dead straight and had around 12" of white on.  Do supermaqrkets have a special way of growing leeks like this?

Thanks!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Supermarket Leeks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 15:12 »
Mine tend to grow straight all on their own, so I can't help with that one..  :unsure: Not sure about the extra white flesh on the stem, but perhaps they are grown in a sleeve of some sort to keep the light out. This is the sort of procedure which normally keeps a fruit or veg. pale in colour.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 15:14 »
I think they may have a sheath or something put on them too.  I use news paper to bleach mine, pehaps the supermarkets just put their shades a bit further up the plant.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 15:57 »
or dib them into the bottom of trenches. Then you fill the trench up as the leeks grow which makes the white bit longer ;)

Unfortunately this method means you have to wash the leeks more carefully, as soil tends to get inside the layers!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 16:08 »
I think if every leek in a 20 acre field had a sheath around it the price would be sky high. When they are planted they must plant deeper with whatever machine they use.

Found this, Pf8PLxJ55Lk

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 16:57 »
I think if every leek in a 20 acre field had a sheath around it the price would be sky high. When they are planted they must plant deeper with whatever machine they use.

Found this, Pf8PLxJ55Lk

Automatic leeks planting, well I never.  Did anyone see Jimmy's Food Factory program on BBC 1 on Wednesday?  The lettuce farm that produced 2.8million iceberg lettuces every weeks was amazing, a plot to be proud of!

xx
Supermarket Veg

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 23:22
by asd1
xx
Supermarket herbs.

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2016, 10:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
Supermarket peas

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 17:28
by gobs
xx
Supermarket Herbs

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2018, 21:05
by Gardener and Rabbit

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 29 queries.