Dark Day Corn Feeding

• 7 Replies

Fisherman

Dark Day Corn Feeding
« on: November 11, 2010, 18:49 »
A question for those unfortuante people like me who leave home to go to work in the dark and come home from home in the dark. How do you manage to feed mixed corn to your birds late in the day at this time of year? I am going to make an automated hopper of some description this weekend and would be interested in any good ideas.

hillfooter

Re: Dark Day Corn Feeding
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 19:22 »
Corn isn't essential just feed at weekends.  I only do it as a hand feed anyway to get them to bond more with me so defeats the object if it's auto dispensed.  If you really want to bother with a feeder buy a cat feeder which have spring up lids and are driven by a timer run off an AA battery.

In either case don't mix with pellets or they'll waste the pellets to eat the corn.
Regards
HF
Truth through science.

Haychee

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 14:51 »
you could use one of those batter operated cat feeders with a timer if you really wanted them to have their corn, they dont cost a lot on eBay.

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 15:47 »
you could use one of those batter operated cat feeders with a timer if you really wanted them to have their corn, they dont cost a lot on eBay.

They even have them with voice recorders so you can make " Here chookie-chook" noises as it operates. :D :D

Fisherman

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 18:09 »
As I'm not into cats I didn't even know automatic cat feeders existed. Thanks for the advice which has given me a few ideas for my home made Wallace & Gromit mixed corn feeder :D

Something for the weekend.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 19:42 »
i put corn & pellets in the hopper together in the morning & when  i go & lock them in at night all the food has gone ::)

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 20:13 »
i didn't know about cat feeders either! am going to investigate :)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 21:28 »
Corn isn't essential just feed at weekends.  I only do it as a hand feed anyway to get them to bond more with me so defeats the object if it's auto dispensed.  If you really want to bother with a feeder buy a cat feeder which have spring up lids and are driven by a timer run off an AA battery.

In either case don't mix with pellets or they'll waste the pellets to eat the corn.
Regards
HF

Unfortunately I sometimes have to work 7 days for weeks on end. I made a hopper to dump mixed corn in the run operated by a 12 volt solenoid and it works a treat. Cost about 6 quid as I already had a timer. One of the birds was frightened beyond belief when it operated but now waits with open beak every afternoon at about 3.30 :D

xx
feeding corn

Started by prettychick on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 21:35
by 8doubles
xx
Feeding corn

Started by cudders on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 08:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feeding mixed corn in cold weather

Started by Mrs Mant on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 12, 2010, 16:33
by Sarah Mitchell
xx
Am I feeding the right food? - Mixed Corn v Layer Pellets

Started by RobH on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 02, 2010, 20:11
by RobH

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 35 queries.