Introducing new hen...

• 5 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Introducing new hen...
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:28 »
We added another girl to our flock at the weekend, but sadly the others haven't taken to her at all - lots of jumping on and pecking, but a lot more aggressive than I've seen when introducing other hens.

I've sectioned off a third of the run for the newbie but with mesh so they can all see each other and hopefully get used to each other too but I found that in the mornings the newbie (ok I'll admit it, we've named her Peachy Puff!) was huddled behind the water feeder in the house looking like she'd had a bit of a pecking.

So now at night she's in a reasonably large cat carrier in with the others.

I plan to give it a couple more days before trying them together again and hope that by beaing around each other so much, they'll start to accept her.

Is this the right thing to have done?  We've had her since Saturday and I know it can take a couple of weeks.

Any other tips?

Thanks!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Introducing new hen...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42 »
it really is never a good idea to introduce just one bird at a time as they then do have the aggressiveness directed at them alone. However the other birds aren't meaning to be nasty, they are just trying to defend their territory from this intruder and also to put her in her place (i.e. the bottom of the pack). She should be isolated for a couple of weeks to make sure she has no infections but do this in full view of the others and gradually move the feed and water containers closer together so they will end up eating side by side separated by the run wire. Then introduce them at night, place several feeders and drinkers in and lots of hidey places for her to escape.
Staffies are softer than you think.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:38 »
Hi
We have just introduced 2 newbies to our flock of 6.
We kept them apart  but within sight of each other for about 5 days, at first the original girls were throwing themselves at the wire to try to get to the new girls but once all that stopped we started letting them mix. We did spray the new girls with anti-pecking spray from the start and they did get some nasty looking pecking, even leading to bleeding combs  :( so we then put some spray on their combs too! but it soon settled and they are mixing fine now although not sleeping together yet, we are planning on putting them in the coop some night soon.  ::)
Good luck
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:42 »
I use buckets placed on it's side then the girls can get inside to escape from the others. Also have some purple spray (gentian violet) handy in case there is any wounds that are red or bleeding. You can get it from equestrian places. It can take a while for them to be happy together but be patient, if you can think how you would feel if a stranger just came into your house and sat on the sofa and said that he was there to stay how would you feel about it. I imagin it is the same foe chickens.  :D

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56 »
Thanks - yes I'd be pretty annoyed!!  Buckets sound a good idea although do they not then just get pecked at without being able to get out?

It has only been a few days so I'm not expecting miracle friendships overnight, but hopefully they will get used to each other.  I don't like the idea of keeping the new girlie in a cat carrier really as it's not disimilar to the life of a battery hen, but figured she'd prefer that to being attacked.

She also had a little speck of blood on her comb, poor thing.

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 15:34 »
Gentian violet or purple spray will disguise the red colour and act as an anti-septic on the raw bleeding parts but careful not to get it into the eyes.

Good luck

:)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
re introducing

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 21:46
by goosebusters75
xx
Introducing new birds.

Started by francais on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 13:25
by hillfooter
xx
Introducing ducklings.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 04:35
by james419
xx
introducing new birds.

Started by arrowni on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 10:19
by Sassy

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 29 queries.