Hello! I'm about to get my first hens and looking to join your community.

• 7 Replies

stella14

Hi there,
My partner and I are about to get our first hens - once the coup and run are delivered and assembled. We're really quite excited!

I research everything to within an inch of itself, so I've been meeting and chatting with breeders, reading books and forums and I am learning a lot here. Chicken communities seem very friendly  :)

We will be getting a Black Rock (Harriet), a Rhode Rock (Henrietta), a Light Sussex (Juliet) and a Blue Haze (Lydia).

wolverine

• Experienced Member
great  :D chickens are the best thing ever. Be prepared and you will be fine. I have learned so much about chickens and the problems that come with them from this site. there will be ups and downs but Its all worth it. Good luck
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
welcome to the forums, great that you've done plenty of research before getting your hens, always lots of useful advice on here, we love our fresh eggs and the entertainment the girls provide, good luck to you all
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:07 by Lastcast »

ali2

• Experienced Member
You'll be hooked !!! We've had ours almost a year now and wished we had started years ago - good fun and time wasters ( ie standing watching them  :D
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

rachelr

likewise good luck and welcome. I have been a chook mad lady for over a year and sooooo wish i had done it before.

Jeanette

Welcome to the forum. You will love having your girls but be warned they are addictive once you have them you will soon want more.

bantam novice

Good luck and welcome  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

orchardlady

Welcome to the forum Stella.

You have chosen well by choosing chickens. I started with four Warrens over 15 years ago and my husband waited paitently for the novelty to wear off...he's still waiting. ::)They are easy to care for (chickens not husbands) and will reward you with wonderful eggs and of course their individual personalities. As you are having chickens for the first time as we head into the darkest and most miserable months you will have a bit of a baptism of fire with muddy walks in the dark and rain to close their house at night etc but once the fair weather of Spring comes the good times come to.

You may not get any eggs until the days start to lengthen but that will give you time to get to know your girls.

Chickens can be absolutely horrible to each other so watch out for bulling caused by boredom.

Yes chickens get ailments but this forum is an excellent resource for ideas, support and advice...so you are not alone. No question, however small or seemingly silly will be jeered or sniggered at so ask away.

Well done.

OL :)

xx
Join in on the latest Forum Photo Competition

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 09:08
by ANHBUC
xx
The new hens and getting them to mix

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 10:06
by Oliveview
xx
New hens

Started by oborne27 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:21
by ANHBUC
exclamation
You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:01
by graces-chickens

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 36 queries.