Winter Advice

• 5 Replies

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
Winter Advice
« on: November 07, 2010, 14:06 »
Hi all, just wanted to check a few things before winter really sets in, we seem to have skipped autum here and gone direct to bitter winter cold and rain, I planted a small cherry tree about 6 months ago, (about 5 foot tall) the leaves have just all dropped off, its quite exposed so should i wrap it in garden fleece or something? (never used the stuff before so don't know what i'm doing) last year we had a lot of deep snow so its likely to be 2/3 foot deep around the tree some days
Also, i've grown some rhubarb from seed, planted it out a few months ago and it was looking quite good but a lot of the stalks are dropping off now, does it die back for winter or is it dying?
And should i do anything with my strawberries? there in a huge planter next to the house, looking quite happy at the moment but i'd be gutted to loose them in the comming months...

And while i'm here i would like to say a huge thank you to you all, you'll never know how much help you'll all been since i joined, i lurk more than i post and i've learnt so much and its discovered it so wonderous to grow and eat your own food, and i'm so looking forward to next spring!

compostqueen

Re: Winter Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 14:52 »
they are all hardy and should be ok. The strawbs in the pot could get frozen and if you're worried you could put it against the house wall for a bit of shelter. I shall leave mine out again as I always forget to put it away.  I lost two plants out of it last year

Make sure your little tree is well staked. 

SG6

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 14:53 »
Cherry tree should be fine.
Say hello to it as you walk past it.
Remeber to prune it in the summer months not Autumn/Winter, the damp increases the chance of a fungus infection on cherries.

Rhubarb does die back in the winter, it should start throwing up new stalks next year, did you give it a lot of manure, Rhubarb likes a good feed.

Strawberries should be OK but make sure the planter doesn't get too cold, possibly  a protective wrap of fleece could be useful. Strawberry's I had were fine in the ground but a planter can get cold enough to freeze and so clobber the strawberries. Unless it gets really cold again I would not worry greatly.

Strawberries will eventually deteriorate as they get virus infections over time so after a few years they will need replacing. Also by then the infection could be in the soil so new plants get infected immediatly. Again sounds worse then it really is but if the cropping drops off over a couple of years keep in mind to replace.

TheOnlyGothInTheVillage

• Experienced Member
    • ThePatchWorkLady
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 18:00 »
Excellent, all seems fine then, the strawbs are in a huge (4 foot x 4 foot) wooden planter/box/type thing made from old pallets, build against the house, no manure on anything to be honest, no idea where i'd get some and not gonna try bringing a sack of that back back on the bus from town! i have sprinkled some compost over most things in the garden, thought that might be better than nothing...

Munchkin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 11:26 »
I have concerns about my strawbs too. I put half of them inside the (unheated) greenhouse and the other half of them are outside up against it. It's going to be their first Winter and it's also my first with the greenhouse. Do the ones inside need some kind of protection? I'm presuming everything freezes over inside the greenhouse too?

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 12:49 »
1.  Cherry tree will be fine - just make sure its staked so the winds don't blow it about;

2.  Rhubarb - does die back - again will be fine (in fact, in January/February, put a bin over them, and you can force rhubarb and get some in very early, but it does exhaust the plant, and you may have problems until the following year);

3.  Strawbs - again, no problem. 

Everything on the above are very hardy through winter.  In fact, I got a bumber crop of the above after the harsh winter, including my apple tree. :D
Babs

xx
Winter squash - advice please

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 21:13
by Thrutchington
xx
Winter veg - misc advice

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:47
by HilaryG
xx
Lettuce: winter variety advice

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 02, 2008, 12:47
by paintedlady
xx
Advice on preparing my raised beds for winter

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 13:55
by tmm

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.