Girls keep getting locked out!

• 3 Replies

Silkysmooth

Girls keep getting locked out!
« on: November 03, 2010, 22:38 »
Hi everyone,

I have an automatic door opener and I'm finding 2-6 chooks locked out at night. I've altered the light sensitivity to its maximum (will go down as late as possible). I'm thinking of investing in a timer. Do you think it would be wise to do so? Has anyone any experience of using these at all? I heard that you need to
seal the timer unit to prevent water/moisture damage. Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance x

Fisherman

Re: Girls keep getting locked out!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 05:21 »
It might be worth checking your light sensor before installing a timer. Is the light sensor lens clean as any contamination will cause it to sense lower light levels than it should do? Also is your sensor in a good position in the direction of the stongest amount of light (South / Southwest) and not in any shade?

Some automatic doors systems include a light sensor and a timer. The light sensor activates the timer and after a set time the door closes. The time can be extended to ensure the door only closes well after dark if needed. To retrofit a timer to your existing door closer may be difficult but it may be possible if you contact the supplier for advice.

If you install a timer on it's own without a light sensor then you will just need to alter the time every few weeks as the daylight hours change. If you decide to do this install the timer within the coop somwhere in dust proof enclosure or in a weatherproof enclosure if you need it to be installed externally.

Hope that helps.

Knight Family

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:07 »
Hi Silkysmooth,

I have a timer VSB version and todate I've not had any problems. With reference to the seal I've not had any problems with water ingress but I believe thats due to the actiual rubber seal (o-Ring) in the unit.

With your girls being locked out via the unit, I had a simular issue and given time they soon learn to go inside be it you have to keep putting them in each night! However you should be able to adjust the door via the light sennor to close when its pitch black (or semi), this will help them go in, if they have roostered in there before.

Our girls now adays hear the door closing and get there as quick as possible!!

The timer is a good piece of equipment but I would only use it really if you need them to not come out in the morning before a certain time e.g. 6.30am. As in the summer they can be out very very early if its just a light sensor, which is not a problem if in the country but is if you have very close neighours and noisey chickens!!

If you need a VSB timer then give me a shout as I have one I no longer need since we moved to the country side.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Silkysmooth

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09 »
Thank you both!

KF - I have PM'd you about the timer.

I think I would like one as it would be good to control what time the girls get out in summer. I know for definate if I make the door shut when it is gone pitch black then none will be left outside. Its just that it must be going dark much faster and they are getting caught out (never happened in summer). Will try fiddling with the sensor and see if any of that works.

Thanks again x

xx
new chickens; locked up or let out?

Started by sazmet on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 22:15
by sazmet
xx
Hens locked out

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 22:24
by hillfooter
xx
should my ducks be locked away

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 11:15
by Sassy
xx
Locked topic about Pamela's hen as we have 2!!!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 22:01
by Foxy

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 36 queries.