what to do

• 13 Replies

jamiendebbie

what to do
« on: October 31, 2010, 14:27 »
hello me and my wife have just got an allotment and just trying to find out what the best thing to do over the winter with it ?
it is over grown slightly and i have put some covers on so is there anything else that can be done so looking for advice from yourselves on here as we have never done anything like this before  :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: what to do
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 14:32 »
Hi Jamiendebbie,

Welcome to the forums! :D I've moved this into Grow Your Own so that it has a better chance of all the allotment experts seeing it.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 15:25 »
Hi and welcome

spend time planning crop rotation for next year.  Read the seed catalogues (or look on here for recommendations) and plan what you will grow.  Make some compost bins and read up how to compost.  Lay paths or make raised beds (if you like the idea).  Build a shed.............

you could keep going all winter really
Enjoy!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 21:09 »
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting your plot.  It is a really exciting time, I have had mine for just over 2 years now and I love it.   I purchased John Harrison's veg growing month by month book, which I think was about £6 and it was really useful, so you might look at buying that.  If you don't want to buy a book then there is a lot of advice on here and people are always willing to answer any questions.

Good luck with your plot.

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 21:12 »
I would start winter digging.
It is so important and will repay you when the season starts next year.

To me winter digging is like the foundations of a house.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 21:37 »
I would: -
Plan on what you want to grow based on what you and your family like to eat.
Read up on what the best conditions are for each of your chosen crops.
Make a plan of your plot taking into account some form of crop rotation.
As per your plan prepare your plot over the next couple of months by digging and applying manure / compost.
Later on in the year order your seeds.
Make 3 compost bins in an out of the way sort of place.
Obtain good quality manure and place in one of your compost bins to rot down for the following season.
Think about how you are going to start some of your more difficult seeds off i.e. cold frame, cloche etc.

Take every day as it comes and don't try to do too much at once.

Most of all enjoy yourselves :)

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 22:28 »
Welcome!
If part of your plot is workable there are even a few things you can plant now....garlic, over-wintering onions, broad beans and peas. They won't be ready until June/July so when you do your planting plan allow for that and remember crop rotaion is a good idea.
You can find everything on the site or just ask and someone will point you in the right direction.
Good luck and lucky you getting a plot! I'm was desperately wanting one but my garden now looks like an allotment with raised beds, chickens and fruit trees/bushes.......

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 23:03 »
1) clear any weeds
2) Dig it over

the good advice in previous posts should be be taken on board....

above all dont overdo it and just enjoy yourself.....  take time to do want you want
Death OR Cake ???

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 01:29 »
1) clear any weeds
2) Dig it over

the good advice in previous posts should be be taken on board....

above all dont overdo it and just enjoy yourself.....  take time to do want you want

Good advice from cooperman IMHO.

• dig a bit
  • start a compost heap
  • plan a bit.... but don't go wild
  • dig a bit more and keep at it bit by bit marking out an area of a few square metres each time
  • get a good flask and a seat (or two) especially if you have a shed already
  • consider buying a single burner stove for brewing tea - nothing nicer on a cold day
  • buy a few packets of seeds and start your "when to sow" list

Finally check out the link: Month by Month on The Plot for tips on what you might try growing.... and keep the weeds at bay on the bits you've already dug.

Here's wishing you both loads of success ....... but remember to take it easy - it's meant to be fun!!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 17:41 »
Don't forget to take piccies - vital to look back on your progress  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Togalosh

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 19:18 »
This is a good idea.

I'd also think about soil testing - then you'll see if or where to adjust the soil..this will help or hinder your crop rotating plans.

You can load up the patch where your' spuds'll go with manure & leave it to the worms- no digging required 'til spring then.

If you need any non-earth work doing (shed/bench building,water storage/rain collecting, greenhouse aquiring /erecting) then look on Preloved, freecycle type sites..(even our local recycling centre was due to open up to the public to offer it's better contents for such things too)..and get this work done inbetween days of digging.

Have fun.

evie2

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 21:43 »
Hello Jammiendebbie, welcome to the forum :D :D :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 17:31 »
DON'T  :mad: go at the digging like a bull at a gate and get dispondent.  :mad:

Dig over a small section by small section carefully removing weed roots, luckily the nasty ones have roots that show up white - couch/twitch grass and bindweed.

Pack up when you want to, don't feel you have to get a certain amount done.

Relax after your toil, sit back with a cup of tea / G&T , read a good book on allotment gardening, decide what you want to grow, set out a plan (but be ready to change it) plan and dream of fresh veggies to come.   

Become a scrounger,  old pallets & doors make a good compost heap.  and with a thought of a shed...... Coffee cups from the machines with a hole cut in the bottom, are great for starting off seeds.

At this time of year see the council and ask for a load of leaves, I believe they have to pay to dump them in land fill! ! !   My very best wishes and Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 00:40 »

Now why didn't I add that one too  ::) How very sensible.  ;)

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 36 queries.