!@£$%&^%$£@! cats

• 90 Replies

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Re: !@£$%&^%$£@! cats
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 23:14 »
Firstly I will say that I am (or recently was) and owner of 3 cats.

Only after a close association with cats do you understand what they do and why.  They are doing what comes naturally, which is kill birds/mice/anything that moves and do thier business in nice tilled, clean and convenient patches.

They are creatures of habit and are quite persistant.  The first thing to do is remove any smell that they have been there before.  Then the best thing to do is watch like a hawk for a few days.  The best thing to do to scare them is to shake an empty bin liner.  After a few days they give up (they have to go somewhere after all).  If you have a really persistant one, then you HAVE to resort to water.  Hose, water pistol, whats left in your cup of tea, anything.  They get the message real quick after a soaking.

I am not one for harming any creature but I am certainly one for scaring the living hell out of one   :D

(I am also very aware of what misery my cats could cause my neighbours.  I provided mine with a clean litter tray and a bell round their necks, but they still killed birds, and they still left presents in neighbours gardens)   :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 23:24 »
I'm lucky :unsure:  ::) in that my cat still comes running in at breakneck speed, crashing through the cat flap on the way,  if she needs to use the litter tray  :lol:

So cat poo roundabouts is nothing to do with my cat.........and everything to do with 'misty'
a feral cat that lives along the terrace. Unfortunately my freshly dug veg beds have to be covered, and the greenhouse door has a screen across otherwise she flattens everything in there as well :(..........but I still feel a bit sorry for her when she's out in the cold :nowink:

rachelr

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 09:28 »
we use orange or satsuma peel if you eat enough it wards of colds too. Two birds with one stone so to speak lol

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15 »
Whilst we're on the subject of digging activity not performed by oneself ( ::)) has anyone found deep (at least a foot), sloping, tapering holes dug in their soil?

I've always assumed it was foxes as the problem was much worse when I used Fish, blood and bone fertilisers, and although my garden isn't animal-proof by any means I've never seen dogs wandering about.

The recent holes (about 1 a week) have contained "number twos" at the bottom of them which makes me think these are toilet holes rather than food-digging holes; never seen a cat dig a hole that big and they usually make some sort of attempt to cover it afterwards.

Any ideas?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2010, 10:37 »
JayG,

Are the "number twos" are similar size to those of a cat? I'm wondering fox, but I've never come across their "number twos" in a garden, so I'm not sure if they would dig a hole in that situation as they wouldn't out in the field.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 12:42 »
I didn't think foxes dug holes but if it was a fox you'd smell it >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 13:03 »
I didn't think so either evie. Must be a cat using only one paw to dig then! ::)

evie2

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2010, 13:20 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2010, 14:13 »
JayG,

Are the "number twos" are similar size to those of a cat? I'm wondering fox, but I've never come across their "number twos" in a garden, so I'm not sure if they would dig a hole in that situation as they wouldn't out in the field.

There's a big danger of providing too much information here; let's just say that Chris Packham would not have been able to handle it very easily!  :blush:

I'm wondering whether the hole was originally dug by a fox and then a cat came along thinking "Hmm, nice handy toilet!"  :unsure:

evie2

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 14:56 »
Are you sure it's from a 4 legged animal?  I wont go any further on grounds of decency :nowink:

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 16:35 »
Hm, interesting.......  :closedeyes:

tode

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 16:40 »
Never heard of snakes digging holes . . . . .     :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2010, 16:51 »
Never heard of snakes digging holes . . . . .     :unsure:

:lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2010, 18:54 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was alluding to a 2 legged variety of animal; Homosapien.

See, now you've made me say it ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 19:27 »
What's up with you lot?  :ohmy:

I will confess to having added wee to my daleks (discreetly disguised in a watering can, of course!) but I have never (either personally, or allowed anyone else) to poop near my parsnips!)  :tongue2:  :lol:

xx
cats!

Started by monsta on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 23:49
by John
xx
cats off

Started by newseed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 08:36
by Bombers
xx
Keep the cats off

Started by Avon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 09:41
by titch
xx
cats

Started by alexroyall85 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 21:36
by hanssg

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 39 queries.