new allotment, what can I plant now?

• 6 Replies

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
new allotment, what can I plant now?
« on: October 26, 2010, 22:29 »
Hi - Just been given a 1/2 plot allotment after a 2 year wait. Loads and loads of weeds but the plots only been out of use a few months it seems. I strimmed off all the weeds and just had it ploughed so right now its just barren ridges of soil. Speaking of which the soil seems good and according to a neighbouring plot owner one of the previous holders of my plot had it covered in manure 3 yrs ago, perhaps why the weeds were looking so healthy.

Anyhow I now basically have a barren bit of field. Plan is to leave it till March, then cover entirely with decent weed suppressant fabric to stop the weeds coming back then gradually get bits in use.

BUT my question is: is there anything thats suitable for planting at this time of year? Thats easy to grow. Would be nice to get something going.

thx

solway cropper

Re: new allotment, what can I plant now?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 22:36 »
Overwintering onions/shallots/garlic and broad beans are about the only thing you can stick in now and get them to grow. You might be too late with the beans, depending on where you are. We had -5 up here a few days ago so soil temps are getting too low for anything to germinate.

If you plan on growing any fruit you could be preparing the ground for soft fruit bushes which may give you some sort of crop next year depending on size of plants bought.

I know how it must feel to have the plot and not be producing anything but time spent on preparation now will be amply rewarded with bumper crops next year.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:52 »
I agree with SC. Getting your plot now gives you a good head start on next year. Take time to dig it over thoroughly and get all the weeds and more importantly roots out.

When you have cleared it go down once a week and hoe/dig out anything that has started to grow.

Planting too much now will mean that next spring you will have problems getting the weeds out from amongst your plantings.

I know its frustrating but you will benefit next year.

noshed

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:55 »
WG is right - get as many weed roots out as poss, then mulch it with rotted manure/ rotted compost etc. Build your compost bin, shed, get your water butts sorted. Build a cold frame. Read John's books. Before you know it will be spring.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 07:23 »
hi wasthiswise.i was in the same position as you two years ago.the plot was all over grown with couchgrass and veggies that had gone to seed.i scudded it off turned it all over and picked out all the twitch&rubbish through autumn&winter,but i got one bed ready and put in some garlic.it grows great through the dark months and it gives you that bit of inspiration to keep going!watching it grow bit by bit is rewarding enough to get you through if you are passionate about your lotty.good luck with yer lotty mate! :)

fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 17:56 »
Quote from: noshed link=topic=67116.msg 767645#msg 767645 date=1288169704
. Before you know it will be spring.
please let this be,
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 14:10 »
get all the weeds out otherwise you'd be a worse situation than it was before, as the broken roots will multiply. break the soil up the best you can, level the ground and on one part use for growing winter growth and on the other put some manure down and let it rot over winter. over winter you can grow white onions, garlic and white radish (mooli)

Good luck and enjoy  :lol:

xx
New Allotment - what to plant now?

Started by Quootiepie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 14:09
by DD.
xx
What can I plant in my allotment now?

Started by brahma1965 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 12:51
by jono2507
xx
Our allotment has it's first plant !

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 18:53
by fibilou
xx
New allotment - what to plant.

Started by leveller on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 18:54
by al78

Page created in 0.866 seconds with 36 queries.