Light Sussex feathers turning yellow

• 4 Replies

carolbriar

Light Sussex feathers turning yellow
« on: October 26, 2010, 16:32 »
I have a light sussex hen whose feathers are slowly turning a yellow colour.  Not buff but a proper light yellow colour.  I mentioned this to my oh earlier and he said he had noticed it as well so its not just me imagining things.  She has had a slight crop problem and we kept her isolated without food and used liquid parafin but it didn't really work so our vet suggested we just let her out and see what happens.  That was last Thursday.  She seems to be eating etc but is sometimes a little distance from the others.  As she is not obviously suffering we are letting her enjoy herself.  She has always been prone to a large ish crop and perhaps that wasn't the problem.  Has anyone else had this change of feather colour in a light sussex?  I think she is moulting slightly or has been but will try and have a closer look later. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: Light Sussex feathers turning yellow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53 »
Often on light or white feathered birds the sun can dye the feathers buff/yellow in colour. If she is moulting then in theory the new feathers should be white again. I don't know if this helps you at all.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 17:14 »
Thanks for that D.  I think you are right and that is what is happening.  They look yellow against the new feathers!

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 13:05 »
Ive got a light grey chook, dont know what make, I just asked for grey and she was what I g fadeot. As she got older, her feathers went very wishy washy and faded. However, after she was attacked by that horrible dog, she had a moult and all her beautiful feathers have grown back.

Junie

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 20:14 »
I have 2 light sussex hens - One yellowing with a bald back - but very slow in the moult, the other is a pure white, bundle of fluffy soft feathers who looks twice the size of the other!  Hopefully here day will come -

xx
Light Sussex feathers changed to cream coloured

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 20, 2010, 20:29
by NormandyMary
xx
light sussex

Started by goshawk7 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 12:57
by ANHBUC
xx
Light sussex

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 21:39
by mercury
xx
Age of my Light Sussex

Started by Gazchook on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 08:38
by joyfull

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 36 queries.