Asparagus in Patio Planters?

• 10 Replies

isis

Asparagus in Patio Planters?
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:46 »
Just recieved my aspragus crowns from t&m and the instruction mentioned about planting asparagus in patio planters. has anyone ever tried this?
I know the forum doesnt recommend containers for asparagus but Im desperate for space!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 13:50 by JayG »

Debz

Re: Aspragus on Patio Planters?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:53 »
I have got my asparagus in a pot because I live in rented accomodation and don't intend to stay here for any length of time.  Not sure if that is the correct thing to do but it is growing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Aspragus on Patio Planters?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 13:49 »
I've got a sunken mint pot about 18" away from where my asparagus row was planted about 6 years ago, and each year I lift it out to repot the mint.
The asparagus roots have completely surrounded the pot, making an overall diameter of at least 3 feet (I can only guess at how deep they go!)

Bearing in mind that even when established the published "average" yield of spears is 15 per plant per year, growing in containers does not sound like a very good idea.

(Would be interested to see T&M's instructions for doing just that, though!)  :)

(Have modified the spelling on your topic header to aid future searches. JayG)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

isis

Re: Asparagus in Patio Planters?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 19:51 »
thanks for the replies.
i have done a bit of research and it looks like you can grow asparagus in containers but its not advisable if you want yields in years to come.. so im currently deciding on a raised bed.

Ill scan the instructions from t&m tomorrow for you JayG so you can have a look.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 19:57 »
 :)

rikknikk

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:36 »
Can anybody advise what needs to be done with it over the winter months?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57 »
Can anybody advise what needs to be done with it over the winter months?

According to this article on the main website, cut fronds down to a couple of inches and leave.

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/aparagus/index.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 10:30 »
When I weed my asparagus plot, I do come across many roots - they really do spread out. :wacko:

For looking after them through winter, I get well rotted manure, and spread it across, so that the bed is buried under a couple of inches or more of it. :happy:
Babs

isis

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 11:36 »
Here are the instructions from t&M, JayG
asparagus.JPG

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 12:06 »
Well posted Isis!

Can't help wondering about the negative effect of planting 5 crowns per planter given that in open ground they recommend a spacing of 15-18 inches (what size planter are they referring to?!)

Otherwise it's pretty standard advice for growing asparagus, although it's a bit clumsy to suggest that a high nitrogen fertiliser is the same thing as a balanced general fertiliser.

Not for me to criticise T&M, especially when I've not tried it; I guess some opinions from those who have tried it (preferably for several years) would be useful.  :unsure:

isis

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 12:45 »
your concerns were the same as mine.. its a bit odd for them to suggest 5 crowns in a planter i thought it was a bit too much as from what ive read the roots spread out pretty quickly and as you also pointed out spacing is 12 inches!
thats why i thought of posting the question cause i couldnt imagine how it would work using a patio planter. i was hoping someone else has already tried it  :D

xx
Patio Planters

Started by Aston on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 16:45
by BenefitofHindsight
xx
Planters

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2020, 14:48
by mrsbean
xx
Raised Planters

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 29, 2016, 17:30
by Growster...
xx
Strawberry planters.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 13:36
by sclarke624

Page created in 1.295 seconds with 38 queries.