Strange/Funny behaviour

• 5 Replies

PaulineM

Strange/Funny behaviour
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:16 »
Hi  :)
While I was out poo picking in my chooks stable one hen was in the nestbox so I decided to stand quietly and just watch her. She was leaning out of the nestbox and lifting in some wood chips and throwing them over herself, I thought this was cute. Then she got up and went around the coop picking up the woodchips and throwing them over herself, she came out of the coop and went around picking up leaves, feathers etc and putting them on her back.  ??? Why?? Is this normal behaviour??
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

orchardlady

Re: Strange/Funny behaviour
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:47 »
I've seen this behaviour before in fact one of my hens was doing it about a week ago. Maybe it's just instinctive nest building behaviour. It does look funny but nothing to worry about.

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:51 »
Chickens really are so amusing, we are never done seeing something new.
It was really funny seeing her flicking the leaves up onto her back and walking around with them on!   :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:55 »
I expect it is natural self camouflage behaviour , if you look like your surroundings when sitting on the nest you are less likely to be spotted by anything looking for a chicken dinner. :)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 13:06 »
I expect it is natural self camouflage behaviour , if you look like your surroundings when sitting on the nest you are less likely to be spotted by anything looking for a chicken dinner. :)

Yes this is instinctive natural behaviour most noticable when you lift a broody off her nest she will do this straw tossing proceedure.  I wondered if it was a sort of signal to the others that she was still broody and was just temporarily off the nest as they seem to do it with more earnest when they are lifted off than when on the nest.  However both the other interpretations seem very plausible particularly the camoflage idea I suspect.

Regards
HF
Truth through science.

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 14:23 »
I was wondering if it was because I was watching her. I was a way away and I thought I was being very descreet, and even tho she is the friendliest of my chooks and always comes running to us it was maybe just a natural instinct to try and hide herself from me.  ::)

xx
Strange behaviour

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2011, 23:13
by SarahJC
xx
strange behaviour

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 06:35
by New shoot
xx
strange behaviour

Started by noodledoo on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 11:31
by eggs on legs
xx
Strange hen behaviour?

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 09:52
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 36 queries.