Fox

• 30 Replies

jinty1911

Re: Fox
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 20:48 »
We stay in an estate and have 8 foot walls and big dogs all around (some kept in outside kennels at night) so haven't had a problem yet but as we are close to woods and a stream, I am always on the lookout for them.

evie2

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 21:03 »
We had a young fox last year who jumped up and down on the small run trying to get the chooks and didn't move until we were feet away >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 10:59 »
I also have a 6 foot fence round my garden and am sadly aware that they can get over it! I have never had a problem during the day but accept that it is a calculated risk leaving them to free range during the day.

This is the time of year that anecdotally there seems to be a lot of attacks so be on your guard.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 15:55 »
We live in a valley with a single track lane, nearest neighbour about a kilometer away and have seen foxes strolling down the lane past our gate, OH thinks he works up the lane!! We believe that he passes by due to hubby's "watering" around the place, if you see what I mean.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

mashauk

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 16:04 »
I don't have chooks but still have to replant my garlic and potatoes at least once after they dig them up, play football with them and leave them on the path (if we're lucky) to find them.  One pooped on an upturned flowerpot the other day!  They also steal toys and shoes from local gardens and leave them on our plot.  They killed some baby hedgehogs which was very sad as there are hardly any left locally.

soya-bean

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 11:11 »
We only let the chickens out of their run when we are at home. The importance of this was brought home when I was woken up at 3.30 the other morning by the outside light going on. A glance out the window soon revealed a fox prowling around the garden. After a snoop about (he ignored the chicken run, by the way) he was back over the 7ft fence at the back - by hopping onto the compost bin and then over the fence.  How he got in is a mystery!
Pause, be still and observe the world with all your senses - you will gain much!

knoxxie

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2010, 13:22 »
I am moving house into a much more rural setting and taking 3 ducks. How do you stop foxes digging under and into the run? It seems a shame to put paving stones in the run to stop them getting in.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2010, 13:26 »
You can run your chicken wire right underneath in a loop. That's what we had and it worked!

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 15:57 »
you can also dig the welded wire mesh (chicken wire is not fox proof - they can bite through it) down into the ground about 30 - 45 cms, this should stop them digging in.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 17:36 »
Thank you,As I have just read this and saw the photots so my father is paying for on eletric fence tommorow!!!!!
CALLUM LAWTON :)

evie2

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 18:31 »
Aren't Dads wonderful :D

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 16:07 »
Yes he loves the chooks more than I do!!!!(not really I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really love love love love love love my chickens)

jinty1911

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 20:58 »
Hey Cal dont think it's possible for any one to love your chooks more than you do but your very lucky your dad feels the same.  I pestered my hubby for chickens for ages and now it's a fight every morning about who gets up first to let them out.  I usually let him win haha  :D
Jinty

knoxxie

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 16:50 »
I have now bought a welded mesh run with house attached. I am thinking that I will potentially lay some spare paving stones I have all the way around the outside - I am hoping fax won't start the other side of these and tunnel all the way under.

Has anyone any suggestions on catching 2 call ducks and a peking duck - they do not currently go into a house as they sleep on an island on the lake in the garden?

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 14:40 »
I keep reading about mens urine being good for keeping away the fox, but what about women's what do they have that we don't - if you see what I mean? alison

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 29 queries.