does it matter if a laying hen has growers pellets

• 3 Replies

cherrypie

I have this dilema, i have a bantum that has just started laying again after hatching chicks. the chicks are now 8 weeks old. i also have a buff orpingtion chick that is about 14 weeks old in with them. which pellets do i give priority to, growers for the babies or layers for the mum. I haven't managed to teach them which trough to eat out of yet to give them both common sense says stick with the growers until they startt o lay as well but you guys with experience might say different. i do try and let Apricot the mum eat layers pellets from my hand but the babies want to join in as well. they get lots of greens and kitchen scraps, they all get oyster shell and grit. they all look happy and healthy.
thanks cherrypie

psipower

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 13:26 »
if it helps, our 10 week old was raised the whole time on layers, mixed corn (initially I cut the whole wheat grains in half for it) and bits of lettuce, cucumber, melon and anything else greenish I happened to be eating. It also had grit available, and could eat grass and whatever else was growing in the grass!

If I remember, the differences between layers/growers are in the proportions of protein etc., but it is quite small.

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 14:04 »
mine get whats given and grow great psipower is right in what they say in my opinion.
alan

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 20:48 »
Yes I'd say layers too.  Mum, who is laying again, will need it and it won't do the younger birds any harm at all  :D

xx
Growers pellets and laying hens

Started by grinling on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2015, 22:40
by grinling
xx
growers pellets v growers meal

Started by jennywren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 15:42
by jennywren
xx
growers pellets

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 00:36
by snowflake
clip
Growers pellets or mash?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 20:12
by mohs.ayaz

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 36 queries.