burning on the allotment?

• 20 Replies

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
burning on the allotment?
« on: October 23, 2010, 00:44 »
Can anyone point me in the direction of any laws controling this?
I have had a look on the net but couldnt find anything specific.
The site commitee say the council can not provide any details except to be respectful of our neighbours and not create a nuisance value.
It is only a small site(30 plots)in a urban area. Our own policy is only to burn end of october to march, always to check wind speed/direction and to dry everything first. This is typically adhered to.
I'm concerned that we may be banned from burning altogether in the near future(how do we dispose of disceased material etc then.)
We have recenly received a complait through the Environment Agency but i know no details. The last official complaint was through Enviro Agency on 11/11/2009, when asked for date of complaint 5/11/2009. What urban area doesnt smell of smoke on bonfire night,lol.
I am on my high-horse, with a bee in my bonnet, but just want to find out how we stand legally.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:38 by DD. »

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: burning on the alotment?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 00:49 »
P.S. i'm not picking on the commitee, i'm friends with them all and they know i'm posting this :)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20 »
I would say it depends on a combination of things. What are the rules of the site? Are there any local by-laws about bonfires? Check both first before lighting one.

Where I live there are no by-laws governing bonfires but common sense applies. ie not during a warm summers day when kids are playing / washing is drying. Conversely a friend of mine is not allowed a bonfire on her allotment site except on Bonfire night (allotment rules) and no bonfires in her own garden under any circumstances (local by-law).
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:57 »
Is not true you have to have fires for 5 consecutive days for it to be deemed an enviromental issue?
Our tenacy allows us to burn non compostable weeds and roots etc, again as with you by first checking wind direction etc and to use common sense.
We are allowed to have bonfires on 5/11.
Is your area in a smoke control area? You can check here .... http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/locations.php
Sorry can't really help much more.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 14:52 »
There are two issues.

1. Does the tenancy permit burning at all?  If not, that's the end of the matter.

2. Environmental Health / Protection issues.

From the defra website

"One of the primary sources of smoke nuisance is domestic bonfires. Bonfires are not specifically prohibited but under section 79(1)(b) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, local authorities have a duty to take reasonably practicable steps to investigate complaints of ‘smoke emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance’. "

Here is my local council's leaflet on bonfires:
http://www.york.gov.uk/content/45090/31693/Pollution_control_-_air/bonfireleaflet
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 14:54 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 22:59 »
I don't understand - what's to burn?

If its green, compost it. If its contaminated , take it home and dispose in the household waste. If its big, take it home or get it removed by the local council.  Not having a go - just offering an alternate view.

I know folks who pile up and burn runner bean plants - what a waste of green waste and what a stink it creates!  Most burning is just not necessary in my view.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 01:18 »
Whats to burn?
Well, i guess that depends on the allotment and the situation.
I'd be lost without being able to burn...

The amount of bramble roots that I'm digging out of my decades neglected plot is staggering. I'm filling up barrow upon barrow loads of the things- they can't be composted, they would fill up the green bins (not fair on other plot holders), and taking them home on the bus and tube is is really not an option!

I've always liked the smell of a bonfire (when its woody/papery materials being burnt)...

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 03:12 »
I've always liked the smell of a bonfire (when its woody/papery materials being burnt)...

Me too, me too.  I love the smell.

If its contaminated , take it home and dispose in the household waste. If its big, take it home or get it removed by the local council.

I walk to my allotment.  It's not an immense distance but further than I could manage with any cumbersome materials.  I don't have a car.  It seems that until this year (my first) the council would provide a skip at a certain point in the year so plot holders could get rid of things.  I haven't as yet burnt anything but I can see that at some point in the future I will need to.

Zippy

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:32 »
I think the two examples above are good reasons for a bonny but this time of year, folks on our plot are buring green waste - I don't get it!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: burning on the allotment?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41 »
I think the two examples above are good reasons for a bonny but this time of year, folks on our plot are buring green waste - I don't get it!

Maybe you should, then & compost it for youself!

Our tenancy agreement does not permit bonfires, but we have a skip. You should see what goes in there that should go in a compost bin.

On second thoughts, maybe not.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peterjf

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 11:03 »
if  you have to burn anything on allotments do as we do ?

burn on NOVEMBER 5 TH

Zippy

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 11:43 »
Maybe you should, then & compost it for youself!

That's a good point DD; however, folk can be funny. they might want to burn it but they don't want to give it away! I think the idea behind it is that by burning it, the goodness goes back to the soil faster than by composting! I've only lived in Cornwall for about seven years so i have another 30 or so before I can offer things like suggestions.

SUTTY1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 23:27 »
As expected varied and appreciated replies :)
We do get a skip but no green waste or timber allowed.
Council wont provide any wheelie-bins on site because we dont pay council tax.
I do my best to recycle, moving stuff from house to plot etc. but am not provided with a green waste bin at home.
Tried ringing council this morning and was promised a call-back today regarding their policies/by-laws, didnt happen. Searched their website with no luck.
Nearly Nov 5 so can burn then but not sure if i can next year, maybe i'll start a national collection for bindweed, marestail etc,lol

Funky Diver

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 00:36 »
I've always found it helpful to also let the firebrigade know you're doing a burn too... just saves on unnecessary callouts from neighbours who might be that way inclined to cause bother, if you get my drift.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 00:48 »
I've always found it helpful to also let the firebrigade know you're doing a burn too... just saves on unnecessary callouts from neighbours who might be that way inclined to cause bother, if you get my drift.

That would never have occurred to me but seems like quite a good idea.

xx
Burning on your allotment

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2022, 16:09
by Bryan and carol
xx
burning

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 18:48
by Teabag
xx
burning stuff

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 12:00
by pwgun
xx
Burning Question

Started by davejg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 12:10
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 38 queries.