Humane dispatch of ducks.

• 12 Replies

orchardlady

Humane dispatch of ducks.
« on: October 21, 2010, 21:19 »
I have one Aylesbury drake that I'm going to have to dispatch as I cannot find a home for him. A real shame as he is a very beautiful lad but that's the reality of life as a drake or cockerel.
I have dispatched young and fully grown cockerels in the past. Usually nowadays with a dispatcher that looks a little like a pair of pliers. However my ducks neck looks a darn sight more tough than a cockerel. I would value any hints and tips :( on making this as painless and the lest distressful for both of us.

Sassy

Re: Humane dispatch of ducks.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:00 »
Really sorry I can't advise you on the how. I do know that dispatching a duck is different to a chicken so you do need to get some real advice. Good luck not a nice task :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 13:33 »
Oh Tomshooter that sounds absolutely horrendous!!  My OH has used an air rifle to put poorly hens out of their misery and it has been efficient but to do it to a healthy duck I'm sure would take a very good marksman.   Sorry folks I'm just a softy.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 13:47 »
I know that Kate (and her ducks) has dispatched by hand and I'm sure when she is next on will give you some advice. I was too much of a softie to do my drakes and they are very lucky to have found a new home, but it is such luck with male offspring. I have success keeping two drakes together - but that could be because they are brothers and were hand raised together - but maybe your drake will get on with your existing if you have enough space? x

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 13:57 »
I'm sure all the advice given here is of the humane kind, as I said I'm just a softy.  When a friend of ours asked OH to despatch a cockerel of his I'd  only seen twice, I made OH give it to the dogs as I couldn't bear it on our table!!  So much for the life of self sufficiency, but as GrannieAnnie has told me, I will harden up, I will harden up, I will, I will I will......

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 13:59 »
Grannie keeps telling me that too - she even got Brian to agree to do the boys from this year and I still couldn't do it  ::)

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 20:06 »
Thanks for the advice. The air gun technique sounds viable as my son has one and if I ask nicely he probably will help me do the dead. When you say the top of the head you really do mean the top of the head? Any further instructions would be wonderful.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 20:53 »
Good luck Orchardlady

jinty1911

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 21:33 »
Am afraid that when any of that kind of thing happens here, I will have to move out of the house for the week-end and not want to know any details.  My Aunt just broke her hip and had to give her wee yorkie to my daughter to keep as she is now 77 and cant look after him.  She said she will not have anything ever again that breathes as she gets so stressed out and worries herself sick over them.  She is lucky he hasnt had any teenagers eh?   

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 23:21 »
it is humane kathie, and with the air gun i dont shoot them from range, i hold their head down and shoot them point blank in the top of the head

Please use a proper air rifle to do this an air pistol does not have enough energy at 6 ft lbs maximum, a rifle non firearm has double that which ensures penetration through the skull and shock to the brain.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 19:54 »
Never fear we have an air rifle.....OL

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 13:59 »
I have sucessfully dispatched small ducks by hand ie using cervical dislocation but with the big ducks they are just too strong for me so I decapitate them with a sharp cleaver on a wood block and it is over with one blow. I have to say I don't like this method as it makes them messier to pluck. I find it hard to really believe the Humane Slaughter advise that this is cruel as they still have the potential to feel things before the lack of blood to the brain renders them unconscious. The air rifle method sounds pretty humane too.

Interestingly the Humane Slaughter Society (think that's their official title, been a while since I read the guidelines) also doesn't recommend the plier type dispatchers but I think that any method you can uses quickly and efficiently is fair enough. Cervical dislocation is recommended such as with the broomstick but I think if I tried it I would not be either quick or efficient struggling to get a protesting duck under a broom. Between Nick and I and a cleaver it is over in seconds for them.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 14:46 »
I use this for dispatching:-
http://www.ascott.biz/acatalog/Humane-Wall-Mounted-Dispatcher-PY91.html
but have used an axe and the broom method in the past (the axe worked OK but the broom-handle method decapitated my guinea fowl  :().
Having said that I have not had to dispatch a duck only chickens and guinea fowl - the fox did my ducks  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Humane Dispatchers?

Started by Helen Louise on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 14:33
by deneview
xx
Dispatch or Not?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 09:47
by Casey76
xx
Dispatch and Dress Course

Started by gsc on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:14
by Tazzy
xx
turkey dispatch

Started by Gareth J on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 22:42
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 29 queries.