Cockatiel

• 22 Replies

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
Cockatiel
« on: October 21, 2010, 14:41 »
OK its not from the hen house and its not a pet without feathers...

Just wondering does anyone keep a pet cockatiel? If so could you offer any advice for why my female (1 year old) can turn from a fluppy funny family pet to a snappy dragon in a second?

She is 1 year old, lives in a huge parrot cage with toys but no other house pets. We play with her every weekend and most evenings after work and is generally cute and cuddly, she can say some words and whistles tunes for us. Every now and then she just snaps and fly's at me sqwarking beak open and straight for my face. Every time she has done this she has drawn blood, it happened again today and I caught her on camera.

Thanks

Debz

Re: Cockatiel
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 14:46 »
I had a cockatiel for many years and while she wasn't the most tame of birds, she was mostly placid.  She used to hiss at strange men and she did on occasion have a go at me.  I thought she was just having an off day when it happened just as every one else has sometimes.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 14:46 »
Hormonal females do not need a reason. :D They are naturally stroppy.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 15:16 »
i used to breed cockateils and some hens are ok and some are nightmares, most of mine where hand reared so they stayed tame 90% of the time even when they had young in the nest box, was your 1 hand reared or parent reared?, Sarah1983jane
zoe pattinson :)

evie2

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 17:48 »
I thought it had something to do with changes in hormones and seeing one owner as a threat to the affection between bird and other owner. 

May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 19:03 »
Hi, She was hand reared, I think the people take them from their parents at 3 weeks old or something like that then hand feed and play with them. It was a husband and wife with 3 kids of various ages and many other cats, dogs and brids that bred her. I think they breed birds for the pet shops and they kept her as they called her their baby as she was so cuddly. I put a wanted as in the papers and they agreed to sell her.

The only other time she did this was when she pooped on the floor when my mum was around, she is in love with my mum - I sent her to bed 1/2 because she pooped on the floor and 1/2 because my mum wanted to go home and the cockatiel took a total mad attack on me!

That time we left her in her cage for 2 days and she was nice to us.

Mad pets!

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 19:37 »
Your mum is lucky.  Mine tried to put my brothers cockateil to bed and they both ended up rolling about on the living room carpet with the birds beak firmly implanted in mums thumb.  He had cut her right through to the bone and refused to let go.  :mad: She had to get a Tetenus injection and had very sore thumb for weeks.  Doctor Dolittle not.  :nowink:   

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 19:55 »
wow I knew they could bite but I had no idea they could cut that deep, nasty little bone crushers!

I made this video while she was attacking me, excuse the mess and the double fleeces, I am full of cold and cant be bothered to clean up or get dressed properly!

I just showed hubby the video and he said he thinks the bird is trying to dominate or challenge me so she is top bird. Maybe its my husband she loves?

DmC8-s1dWEE

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 19:57 »
yes they can bite, by putting her back in the cage when she did that, she will get the message that bitting is not welcome, when she is nice give her treats, and if/when she bites put her back and dont say anything to her, she will learn..

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 20:03 »
Could she see a reflection int he camera you were using to film her?  Just a thought?

Kym

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 22:10 »
Hiya.... I have a second hand ;) cockatiel called Charlie.... as in 'Charlie bit me' :D

I had had him for about 2 months and he flew at my face and attacked me.... i was really shocked and upset as he seemed to go for me on purpose :(

He only did it twice (on same evening)  and looking back I had taken him out of his cage late in the evening :(  Maybe he was just a bit cross at being disturbed :)

He hasnt done it again though, but he does look at me funny when I wear my glasses..... so maybe the reflection encouraged him.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41 »
2 good thought there, reflection...I was in front of a mirror filming her and the fact they are grumpy little $*|*$ when they are tired - just like me ha ha ha

on both occasions when she has done this she was put straight to bed then after throwing all her toys about she fell asleep for ages so tiredness must be a big issue

evie2

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 12:44 »
Saw an animal programme ages ago and I'm sure they had a parrot who was doing similar the wife and making up with the husband.  They said it saw the wife as a threat.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 16:09 by evie2 »

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 14:07 »
I know nothing about Cockatiels, but that video has kept the kittens entertained! It does look like a dominance issue, hopefully she will calm down with newatthis' advice

jinty1911

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 19:45 »
Yep I agree.  My brother is the boss and the cockatiel is his boyfriend  :wacko: The bird gets very jealous if anyone goes near my brother. Maybe the little birdie just swings that way? Or maybe he's a she? I wont be checking anyway.  :nowink:
Jinty

xx
URGENT advice please for Cockatiel

Started by BussinSpain on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 20:22
by Jabberwock

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 37 queries.