stock pot

• 24 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
stock pot
« on: October 21, 2010, 10:05 »
Hi all,

after asking on the growing forum about cauli leaves  and whether they can be eaten, every one was very helpful and told me that just about everything goes in their stock pots.  This now poses a cooking question, If I put everything in the stock pot, how long does vegetable stock last in the fridge and what can I do with it appart from make soup?

any and all help is gratefully received as im very new to growing my own and cooking it and I dont like to waste anything.

happy cooking and growing.

Jools

xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: stock pot
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:31 »
Hi Juliec, I only use my stock for soups, stews and curry bases, but I freeze it in margarine tubs, lasts forever then!

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 10:33 »
Thanks granny Annie :nowink:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 13:19 »
As granny, all my stocks are frozen but I use bags.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 13:27 »
Funny you should say that Aidy!  I once had a lady on freecycle asking for margarine tubs for freezing soup as she never gets many of them. 

I told her what I do sometimes if I'm short of tubs, is wait until soup, stock or whatever is cold then tip it into a bag inside the tub.  take all the air out and freeze it.  Then take the bag out of the tub.  Takes up less room in the freezer, and they stack well because of the 'tub' shape!  :D

madcat

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 13:52 »
Hi Juliec, I only use my stock for soups, stews and curry bases, but I freeze it in margarine tubs, lasts forever then!

A good stock is the making of a rissotto!  A sunday roast chicken is often a thursday rissotto with stock made from the carcass sometime in between.  Easy when the week is taking its toll ... :)

I do the bag in a box thing with leftover stews etc too ...  its really efficient.

I wouldn't put brassiccas in a stock pot - personal taste perhaps, but I'm not keen on the resulting flavour.  Try before you go mad with caulis and cabbage in stocks would be my advice just in case your taste buds are like mine. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 15:41 »
I find the same thing, Madcat - brassicas simply overpower the chicken flavour. I save them for tomato soup based soups and go easy on them, otherwise, it's windy season around here.

My favourite is to fill serving sized freezer containers with finished soups and freeze them for days I've been working hard outside and need a nourishing fast meal. My soups always include beans or lentils as well as veg and some meat.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 16:52 »
Funny you should say that Aidy!  I once had a lady on freecycle asking for margarine tubs for freezing soup as she never gets many of them. 

I told her what I do sometimes if I'm short of tubs, is wait until soup, stock or whatever is cold then tip it into a bag inside the tub.  take all the air out and freeze it.  Then take the bag out of the tub.  Takes up less room in the freezer, and they stack well because of the 'tub' shape!  :D

That is such a good idea! I have just run out of tubs for my soup...  ::)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 17:22 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:   My good deed for the day obviously!!   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 21:33 »
a freshly made stock will last several days in the fridge.

I am a real-stock lover: not that bland, expensive liquid stock you can buy in pots from the fresh chiller at the supermarket, and not the over-salted and not-too-nice stuff in cubes that need rehydrating (and cannot be reduced at all without becoming vile - and a stock really should be able to be reduced to give the best sauces!!).

But a great homemade vegetable stock or else one made with a chicken carcus (and simmered for a few hours): pure heaven.

I use plastic sealable take-away cartons (of which I have scores in the larder) and freeze stock in them: I have a shelf in one of my freezers precisely for stock varieties and a great soup, a lovely risotto or a tasty sauce are only 20 mins or so away....
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 22:51 »
Well after the Dexter was cut up on Saturday, Brian said I'll put some of the bones in the stock pot for you!  That was nice of him wasn't it?  But the cooker switch blew up, so it was sunday before they got cooked properly.  The stock was doing really well, then I took the bones out and left the stock to cool.

Brian came in the lounge and said that stock is going to be really nice.  Yes I know it is I said.  Yeah, because I put an oxo cube in it he replied!!!!

I give up!!!!  He put an oxo cube in my stock pot!  :ohmy: 

I asked him why he put a stock cube in the stock and he said its not a stock cube, its beef extract!

I give up! :( :(

Oliveview

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 06:15 »
Did you not take him out side and give him a good hose down with the cold water Ann for being such a numpty?
Pamela

madcat

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 17:32 »
 :ohmy: :ohmy:  If 'im indoors did that to my stock, he would be singing treble for the rest of his days! Are you sure he wasnt winding you up?   :unsure:

catllar

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 18:06 »
Our milk here comes in Plastic bottles with nice wide necks, perfect for freezing stock and soups.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 11:43 »
what a brilliant idea Catllar!

xx
Veg stock

Started by sawnee on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 16:34
by Trillium
xx
Chicken stock

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 17:02
by Ice
xx
Val's Homade Pectin Stock?

Started by CZ Silhouette on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 19:42
by CZ Silhouette
xx
chicken stock the muntjac way

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 10, 2006, 16:57
by Annie

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 37 queries.