Moving house with chickens

• 7 Replies

Flowerpower136

Moving house with chickens
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:43 »
We're not moving just yet, but will probably be putting the house on the market in the New Year, and if it sells   :lol:  (deafening laughter), we hope to move from Lancashire to Pembrokeshire.  I am part Welsh, so hoping they'll let me in.

What has been your experience of moving home with chooks.  Any hints and tips please?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Moving house with chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 14:04 »
No experience what so ever but WHY WHY WHY do you want to move from Lancashire  ???  ???  ???  ???
Have you fallen and bumped your head?
Come over here and let have a chat to you.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 13:16 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 18:20 »
I moved house with mine recently. Pretty easy really. Made up a temporary collapsible run for when I moved. On the move day got up early, boxed the girls up put them in the car. Put house and run in the van. Got to house, unpacked house and run. Let the girls on the garden for an hour and then put them in their new house and run. Kept them in there for a couple of weeks until the permanent one was finished.
They much prefer our new garden, lots of established shrubs etc.

Steve

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 22:59 »
I have some advice. Don't wait til the end of the day of the move as you'll be dog tired and moving the run, the hens themselves and all their kit and caboodle, loading it, and then setting it all up at the new house is just too much. I did it and we were so tired we could hardly walk. We had to go back for them which added to the general stress

So move them in advance if at all possible

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 11:13 »
Depending on the amount of hens to move...I would be tempted to ask if you could take them a few days early..... or move to another location temporarily.   Moving is such hard work and so stressfull without hens being involved :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Knight Family

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43 »
Well what we did was move them from North Merseyside (Liverpool) down to Evesham, we puchased a chicken carrier and used a load of cat box's (very handy). Pack up the run extra a couple of days before, and then put the chickens in the garage over night.

When we moved down they were happy enough we just put them in the out house / shed / garage with wome Orange netting we had collected from the Tip (very very handy!!) We kept them in the shed for 4 months while I seeded the grass and built a new coop (brought the other one down but we damged it takign out of the van!!)

What I would say is if you get a company to move you which you will some dont like to move chicken houese I know ours would not.

But otherwise dont worry not that bad / hard really just more work .
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Beano

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 13:21 »
I am part Welsh, so hoping they'll let me in.

If you have chickens you are always welcome lol.
Hope you manage it soon.
Good luck.
El.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 16:10 »
Weirdest thing!  I thought no one had replied to this  :(, but have just noticed that I'm not getting alerts to replies etc.  I've just tweaked my settings  :ohmy: (Ooooo Missis!) so hope that's sorted it.

Thank you for all your advice.  It's such a distance, and we might even have to go into rental first, so thinking they'll have to become lodgers for a while.  There are people in this village who I'm sure would take them in until we're sorted out.

Will have to make a special journey just for them, 5 hours in a crate? :(  Don't suppose it can be anyworse than their rehoming day?

More worried about moving them than moving us. :D 

xx
play house to hen house

Started by Catsmuvva on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 10:03
by ANHBUC
xx
Egg moving

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2013, 16:57
by Tigerwren
xx
Moving ducks

Started by knoxxie on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 20:20
by orchardlady
xx
the hens are moving in

Started by vegypete on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 12:31
by nerdle

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 28 queries.