What are you growing next year?

• 24 Replies

mark_h

Re: What are you growing next year?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:50 »
I plan to grow next year:

Broad, French and Runner Beans though there will be more frenchies as I prefer the flavour to that of runner.
Onions
Garlic
Spring Onions
Potatos(1st, 2nd and main)
Courgettes
Swiss Chard
Scorzonera(I love the taste of them)
Asparagus
Sweetcorn
Carrots
Swede
Beetroot

I may grow 1 or 2 more things If I can find the space.

Mark

TheSpartacat

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 16:21 »
Oh, I don't think I can limit myself to 10!!!! LOL I only have a quarter of the plot cultivated so far but this year i did spuds, lettuce, beans, peas, mangetout, beetroot, tomatoes, perpetual spinach, carrots, radish, cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts, kale, kohl rabi, pak choi, chinese cabbage, baby achocha, leek.... thats 19 and we're not even counting the edible flowers and herbs!!!!! (and I'm sure i'm still missing some)
:D :D :D :D hahaa
Not a huge amount but I was happy trying things out and finding out on a small scale what i liked, and what was difficult.

Next year, i plan to reeeeally get going!! Looking forward to squash, pumpkin and cucumbers the most!

I think, just look at what veg you buy the most- and what you are most comfortable cooking with and can find a lot of uses for. My Mum grew pak choi this year and she's a bit stumped what to do with all of it.
I'm toying with turning veggie for the harvesting season, so am throwing myself right in there! But I eat (and cook) just about everything! :-) (except chard... the perp spinach didn't impress me)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 16:26 »
I can't believe that you don't like cabbage in any shape or form. I'm sure there'll be a way you will get to like it as it's so versatile and if cooked properly is beautiful.  
Ah... can I share a recipe with you?
My other half HATED cabbage. I adore cabbage- years of growing up eating grey overcooked cabbage put me off for years too.. but this recipe hooked my other half on cabbage completely, and my siblings who were similarly turned off- its now one of his fave veg, and why i get stuck with cooking the Christmas dinner every year when i go home!

Fry up some bacon, or some lard-ons... while steaming your cabbage...
When the cabbage is cooked, but still has a bit of bite- put it into a big pot over heat... and keep stirring it over heat and let all the water evaporate. Chuck in a knob of butter, fry it a little just so it soaks up all the butteryness.... add your bacon diced, or lard ons...
Then add some double cream, black pepper, salt and a spoonful of nutmeg....

Heat it all the way through.
Its really really yum! It's a whole different veg!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 16:28 by TheSpartacat »

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 16:31 »
Potatoes,
onions
garlic
courgettes
runner beans
french beans
broad beans
sweetcorn
tomatoes
cucumbers
chillis and peppers
carrots
spinach
celeriac
cabbage
ps brocolli
squashes
I know that's a bit more than 10 but they are all essential :D
I love growing squashes but as I am the only member of the family who will eat them in anything other than soup, I will have to restrict the numbers next year. Or eat an awful lot of soup  :)
Rachael

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2010, 17:00 »
Hi All,

You have all filled me head with inspiration and ideas - I am full of cold and off work so beween sleeps and hot drinks I have ordered seed catalogues off the net to get my planning started for next year.

I am going to ask people for packets of seeds instead of Christmas presents (I will get more entertainment from a few packs of veg seed then a fancy bath set that will sit in the cupboard waiting for a charity bring and buy sale!)

@TheSpartacat  Thank you for the idea for cabbage - I have a book I add these one off ideas to so it will be going in tonight and I may try it at the weekend - what are you growing in terms of edible flowers? they sounds good!

Looks like every one grown some essential kitchen veg like peas potatoes and carrots etc then adds on extras, I have no idea what some of them veg are "Scorzonera" ???

@ Geordie Gal Grapes at the coast sounds good fun - I hope you get loads of sweet fruit - or make some good wine!

@fatbelly I am so pleased you mentioned gerdening news, I used to get it @ local shop but shop changed hands and they stopped stocking it, I can ask for it now I know what its called!

Thank you for your ideas

TheSpartacat

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2010, 18:40 »
Hi Sarah,

This year I grew

Calendula officinalis (pot marigold- not to be confused with other marigolds)- i use the flower heads in homemade herbal tea, petals in salads etc

Nasturtium- You can eat all parts of nasturtium- the flowers are pretty in a salad, the leaves are quite peppery and i use them to give salads a bit of kick instead of rocket... and you can pickle the seeds, a good caper substitute:
Here's a recipe:
http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/pickled-nasturtium-seeds-recipe-uk-capers-3791

Also, Clover, Lavender and Violet'

This is a pretty good resource for edible flowers:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

I also like popping edible petals into the ice cube tray... they look pretty ! :-)

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2010, 19:47 »

That's a very useful link, thanks for sharing.

My Mum used to treat us to sugar frosted rose petals when we were kids.  She made them herself which impressed me no end, particularly as none of my friends seemed to believe rose petals were edible.

Dirt Diver

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2010, 20:33 »

Also, Clover, Lavender and Violet'

I also like popping edible petals into the ice cube tray... they look pretty ! :-)
Spartacat - that is an awsome web site, thanks so much, it has given me so many great ideas. 8) 8) 8)

Junie

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 20:38 »
Me too! - I shall order my seeds accordingly! and give it a go next year.

digalotty

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 22:14 »
these are definite:       strawberry's, Charlotte potato's, broad beans and french beans and runner beans, mange tout,    onions and garlic already in  :)  salad leaf and courgette, beetroot
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
What are you NOT growing next year?

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

139 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 16:55
by Trillium
xx
First year of growing

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 20:53
by richyrich7
xx
1st year of growing

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2007, 23:45
by skywalker

Page created in 0.906 seconds with 37 queries.