How many layers of carboard to keep the weeds down?

• 12 Replies

green_fingered_ash

How many layers of carboard to keep the weeds down?
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:02 »
Just wondering have cleared almost 33%(so much work oh) of my allotment and i have been laying cardboard(free :tongue2:) down to stop the regrowth of weeds (mainly bindweed with some dock and other misc)

how many layers is enough to take me from now till april? i have a fair amount of worms working away so i have to factor that in. however it will also be winter for most of that time so they and the weeds shouldnt be to active, 5-6 layers maybe?

5-6 should be enough, i also wonder how much cardboard is to much? or is there no real limit?

chili

• Experienced Member
Re: How many layers of carboard to keep the weeds down?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:24 »
hello m8 can i hijack your thread and ask in a newbie way how you do this cardboard laying?
do you place cardboard on ground then cover with soil?

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 11:51 »
just lay the cardboard down and leave it  you could put manure /compost over it and plant straight onto it in the spring aswell it will ust rot down where it is BUT it will not stop the bindweed it may slow  it down a little but nothing can stop it

bigben

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:08 »
Beware the bindweed! - it starts to slow down and eventually disappear as it gets cold and then reappears late - Mayish depending on the temp. You think you have managed to get rid of it then it jumps up and bites you. Covering it now will do little to get rid of it. Putting down cardboard with manure on it will possibly just act to fertilise it in the spring as the cardboard rots thru. You might be better digging it out then laying the cardboard to suppress the "less evil" weeds.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:19 »
i found that by covering the bindweek the roots start to grow on the surface i lfted the cover weekly to romove new groth/weeds and after a few months there was almost none i know it ill be back but hopefully in manageble portions

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 15:24 »
cool well i can myself some cardboard from work :) so may try this on a patch of the plot, i spent 18months on my hands and knees digging out the poxy bindweed, i now have under control....i hope :)

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 20:03 »
I did not intend the cardboard to permenantly stop the bind weed, only to stop weeds from growing during the winter, as it gets colder and they slow down, it would save me weeding and worrying about them until it starts to warm up, where i intend to dig out the rest of the roots i can find and then hoe the ground continually until they use up all their stores of energy and die a horrible death :)

ash

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 07:49 »
they will never die they have been on earth longer than us all we can do is slow them down and never let them see a sunday ;)

gillie

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43 »
A couple of layers would do the trick - the second to cover any accidental gaps in the first.

I got a lot of cardboard one year by going round the village shops scrounging packaging.  They were glad to get rid of it.  The only problem I had was with the sticky tape which had held the boxes together.  It does not rot!

Gillie

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 20:25 »
i dont know why more peoople dont use cardboard as mulch, when the plants are big enough to fend off slugs etc it will keeps the weeds down reducing the need to hoe to almost nill. just top up as the worms eat from the bottom up. its free and its recycling. i guess if slugs are a problem maybe use beer traps etc/distract with comfrey leaves then disposing of them.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 00:21 »
I did the cardboard thing, and sheet mulch as I could afford it. It keeps the weeds at bay while you tackle a bit at a time. I didn't want to use weedkillers so I preferred the slower cardboard route. I found that a full thickness newspaper over the slow-to--die thuggish weeds helped and I put this under the cardboard, and that usually saw them off quite quick after that. I liked killing weeds this way as you get no vegetation left to have to get rid of, it's just all gone  :D 

Cardboard makes temporary paths as well to keep your feet off your wet soil. It does all rot down within a season. Cardboards sheets right up against a row of plants is good I think  :) I prefer black sheet mulch as it's rough and slugs don't like it but it costs and cardboard is free

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 08:57 »
the only thing is it attracts slugs but i can make a couple beer traps or us and dispose of comfrey and the time saved hoe'ing would be worth it

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 15:22 »
The black sheet mulch is very rough and slugs don't like it but cardboard is another matter 

I laid some sheet mulch over a weedy bed this morning as I don't have time to weed it. I made a start on it but keep getting rained off. It's a great big long stretch so covering it up will prevent it getting any worse til I can get round to completely weeding it. I don't do weedkiller  :) 

I top up my cardboard as it gets worn out. There's usually some in every skip and I cadge it from the electricity shop. Makes good paths and keeps the soil from getting sad from too much foot fall

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
sad
Rotting layers inside cabbage

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 20:25
by jaydig
xx
Weeds

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 06, 2012, 23:11
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.775 seconds with 36 queries.