Small Garlic

• 10 Replies

Rachel

Small Garlic
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:51 »
Hi All

I put my garlic in around April, it was going really well with strong green shoots above ground.  Lately it has started to yellow and more and more of the foliage has fallen over, some of them are flat to the ground.

I've dug a couple up to see what they're like and whilst the bulb has formed its still quite small.

Firstly, can I eat the small bulbs and secondly is it worth me leaving them in the ground to bulk up or is that my lot? (not that i'm ungrateful, any thing is a bonus this year!!)

Obviously we've had a lot of rain which had probably given them a battering but do look really sorry for themselves!!

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Annie

Small Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:57 »
I would harvest it now as it is not goingto increase in size once the folliage is done.Plant some more in autumn as these usually produce bigger bulbs.Small garlic bulbs will still taste great but are just a bit fiddly to peel.

Rachel

Small Garlic
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:01 »
Thanks Annie

I thought so, its very strong so I thought the really wee ones could be use to make some flavoured oil.

Rachel

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Small Garlic
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:03 »
give the ground a good dressing in bonemeal a week or so before you sow in the autumn, this will feed them through and provide the bulb with the right stuff to swell up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Scribbler

Small Garlic
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:39 »
Where did you buy the original cloves you planted?
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

hermon

Small Garlic
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:17 »
shouldn't garlic have temperatures of less that 10oc to get the best out of them?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Small Garlic
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 13:02 »
with the rain mine has all rotten.. I am so gutted...

David.

Re: Small Garlic
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 15:05 »
Quote from: "Rachel"

I put my garlic in around April,

Aprils seems rather late to be planting garlic.

Normally my autumn planted cloves grow the biggest, but this year those planted in early March are much larger (I do both in case one fails), which I put down to a waterlogged winter.

Trillium

Small Garlic
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 00:49 »
Garlic is a cool weather crop and should be planted when the weather begins to cool, either late Aug or early Sept depending on your location. It also needs lots of food to set its roots this year so I add lots of old manure/compost as well as bone meal. From the sound of your garlic, Rachael, you, might want to find some larger seed garlic for planting, which might be tricky this time of year but possibly through a mail order source. Check Google Search for that.
Next year your garlic will start to die off, it's growing cycle finishing, at this time of year (July). Once the leaves begin to yellow a bit, then it's done so pull it up as it won't fatten any further. It's not like potatoes which will thicken up a bit more. Pull it, cure the bulbs as you would onions, and store in a not too cool spot which will only incur sprouting. If you store your eating bulbs in oil, keep them always refrigerated as botulism easily starts up in unrefrigerated oil. Same with dried tomatoes in oil.
Fall planting in well prepared soil should yield some very respectable bulbs next year.

Scribbler

Small Garlic
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 11:40 »
Try Dobies online.

Rachel

Small Garlic
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 12:56 »
Thanks all

I got the bulbs from Wilko's and it did say plant up to Apr.  I'm new to this so just thought i'd give them a go.

The bulbs themselves look great so i'll be thankful for what i've got then.

Thanks for the tip about flavoured oils Trillium I never knew that.

Rachel

xx
Garlic. Big cloves and small ones

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 17:53
by mumofstig
xx
Small Garlic bulbs??

Started by wistow-wizard on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 22:10
by Trillium
xx
Planting small garlic cloves?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 17:44
by Yorkie
xx
Small tomatoes, small success?

Started by The Norfolk Turkey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 10:17
by Mike.white

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 28 queries.