Help please....injured warren

• 8 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Help please....injured warren
« on: October 17, 2010, 15:04 »
Hi

My warren appears to be hurt and I have no idea what to do.  I've just been outside to have a look at her and noticed that her feathers were ruffled on the back of her neck.  When I've moved the feathers to have a look I can't actually see a cut or anything but it looks like dry blood and some clear liquid thats dried and made all the feathers go hard.  She's breathing fine and her eyes are nice and bright and clear but she is opening and closing them very slowly.  As far as I know she's not eaten any thing today and I couldn't even tempt her with broccoli.  The only thing I had in the house was surgical spirits so I tipped some on to where I think shes hurt.   

I've also noticed that she is covered in what looks like dust, it's also really visible on my black rock.  I've had a good look and can't see any lice but could they be eggs?

I'm very inexperienced and have already lost 3 of my girls that were ill when they arrived.  Does anyone know what to do?  I really hope someone can help.   

beth123

• Experienced Member
Re: Help please....injured warren
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 15:21 »
I've just been back out to check on her and the other chickens are pecking at her now and she's not even trying to get away from them.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 16:26 »
is it possible to quarantine her?  either in a separate run or in pet carrier until you know what is going on?  I'm afraid I have no ideas other than to suggest a trip to a vet...... I'm sure someone will offer some practical advice soon, good luck

madcat

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 16:28 »
Agree with tesni - she beat me to it. 

I'm sure a real chicken person will be along soon to give you active advice - but as a pet person, i would get her out of there and into somewhere calm and warm and not too bright on her own.  Then the others cant bully/hurt her, and if she is infectious, you are limiting contact.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 16:59 »
Hi there,

I've brought her inside in a box with some straw but she's now began breathing funny.  It sounds like she's snoring.

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 19:12 »
Oh Beth I hope she pulls through.  I would echo the advice to get her to a vet asap.  In the meantime good luck...fingers toes adn everything crossed.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 20:00 »
yes agree keep her inside in the quiet and try her with some fluids, She will need to see a vet asap, often when chickens appear to be ill they are very very ill and the fact that she is allowing the others to peck her also confirms this. If she won't eat a slurry of layers and water ground and mixed together (you could try syringing this into her beak) then try giving her sugared water to give her some energy.
Staffies are softer than you think.

beth123

• Experienced Member
My chicken is getting far to comfortable.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22 »
I've been sat up all night looking after my poorly warren, Joyce, who's been in the conservatory in a dog cage.  I just left the cage door open to get her some fresh water and when I went back in she was sat on sofa making herself very comfortable.  I think she must be feeling better than she is letting on.   

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:12 »
Glad to hear it  :)

xx
warren chicken

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post November 09, 2007, 21:52
by richyrich7
xx
Warren with no comb

Started by roxker on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 10:19
by roxker
smiley
warren chickens

Started by zandelia on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 09:59
by Sassy
xx
Broody warren

Started by mercury on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 21:00
by mercury

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 37 queries.