Walking onions

• 16 Replies

Christine

Walking onions
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:08 »
I've just been given some by someone who's clearing out his excess of "stuff" as he's got to start a proper job (oops, not a good thing for a happy gardener) and he gave me some "walking onions".

Glad he did as there only seem to be a very few on sale in the UK and I'm glad he explained what they are all about. I've split the clump and popped them in a seed tray on the window ledge to get roots down.

Anyone got any experience with these walking onions? Like when they should be planted out, how to care for them? Totally new territory here.

compostqueen

Re: Walking onions
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:54 »
Yes, I have some on my plot and eat them regularly. They are strong!  :) They do tend to spread like wildfire though as they "walk"  I've just tidied mine up and given some away.  They are very hardy

Christine

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 18:08 »
Sounds good to me. If I can get this lot going, in the end I shall have reproducing onions then rather than having to go for seed and sets.  :lol: Could be a good gift.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 18:12 »
A friend of mine gave me some bulbils a few weeks back, which I just popped in the soil. That after all is what they'll do naturally

I put about 40 in, they may take over the world. I wonder if he knows that company charge £1.75 for just 4?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 18:26 »
When I read the title,I thought someone had the same problem as me.  Three rows went "walkabout" last year.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

zazen999

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 21:39 »
Just plant them out when they have roots and leave them be. They pretty much care for themselves and will fall over when ready and root again, when ready.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 21:52 »
Mine just drop their bulbils wherever they feel like it, and all I do is thin them wherever they get in the way. No need to fuss, and they're always the first up and last down. And yes, they're strong. With these, don't pinch off the flower unless you need to control them.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 07:37 »
Thank you people. All sounds good to me.  :)

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22 »
Christine, if you like walking onions for short-circuiting the seeds thing, look out for multiplying leeks. 

They are a smallish diameter leek, which throws lots of smaller leeks around it.  I pull up a clump, take the big ones for the pot and push the little ones back in to the soil.  Not quite the same flavour as leeks, but very nice.  No working out when to plant seeds, and no "oh a had 8 leeks left but they have bolted" either. 

Pip

Zippy

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:30 »
Any problem with white rot with walking onions with them being planted presumably in a permanent position?

neal

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 21:27 »
Would expect them to suffer from the same problems as the other Alliums

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 12:35 »
Are these the same thing as tree onions/Egyptian onions?

zazen999

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 18:16 »
If you clicked on the link in the first post you would see that yes, they are the same thing.

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 22:53 »
Zippy, walking onions are much like strawberries in that once they deplete the nutrition of their current area, they move to somewhere else with more to offer, hence the 'walking'. So don't try to limit them to just one spot unless you're replenishing nutrients. If you have rot problems, then let them travel so they don't become rot victims as they are onions and will succumb. They're hardy things but not invincible.

Pip Judgeford

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 22:52 »
Thanks Trillium & Neal,  I had vaguely wondered about disease and nutrient depletion - kind of hard to think about when the fresh bed is doing so well - but such a good reminder to me not to get complacent.  At last walking onions and multiplying leeks are easy to propagate, so I'll put these 2 in my crop rotation planning.

=  Pip

xx
Walking Onions

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 12:01
by lacewing
xx
Walking Onions

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 17:14
by Annie
xx
(Tree or Walking Onions

Started by Bay Laurel on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 21, 2016, 14:42
by Aunt Sally
xx
perpetual/walking onions

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 08:02
by JaK

Page created in 0.546 seconds with 36 queries.