chickens

• 5 Replies

phil-c

chickens
« on: October 16, 2010, 21:47 »
hi all i have 2 chickens that will not go in the coop at night but they prefer to roost up the yew tree in there pen is that ok

daisy1990

Re: chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 21:58 »
some chickens do like to roost in trees, are they safe from foxes?  Is their coop free from mite? (this can cause chickens to avoid going in it)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

phil-c

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 22:18 »
yer i have 15 chicken alltogether its just 2 off them that prefer to do tree climbing

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:13 »
I have 14 that sleep in the trees whilst the rest sleep in their coops, most in winter will then go in the coops but Claudette stayed in the laurels through all last years snow. My tree dwellers do all roost at least 15 feet off the ground though safe from predators - is your run fox proof?
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 21:24 »
I have 14 that sleep in the trees whilst the rest sleep in their coops, most in winter will then go in the coops but Claudette stayed in the laurels through all last years snow. My tree dwellers do all roost at least 15 feet off the ground though safe from predators - is your run fox proof?

I have twice seen foxes a long way up trees during the day , one of them 12ft up a prickly hawthorn. No idea what they were doing up a tree, the one in the hawthorn was in winter so not after nestlings . It may have been treed by a dog but the fact is it did get up there when it needed to. :ohmy:

afewgoodchickens

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 15:11 »
If you can get to the chicken once it has roosted and put it in the hen house for a few consecutive nights - if its not being hassled by any of the others but still prefers to be outside then it must like it - you will then have tried your best and the rest is to fate. 8)  Here speak the voice of an over protective chicken lover that has come to realise they all have their own personalities.

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
how many chickens

Started by lippett76 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 14:17
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.