Spring Garlic - Can i plant it now??

• 8 Replies

BarrowBoy

Spring Garlic - Can i plant it now??
« on: October 15, 2010, 13:54 »
I planted some garlic this March as i missed the boat during the early winter to get anything in the ground.
I will say i was very lucky my garlic was very large and ended up bigger than others who had planted during the A/W.
My question is can i plant these large cloves now to grow for next year or will they just rot in the ground as they are not ready?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Spring Garlic - Can i plant it now??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 14:17 »
Now is the time to plant over winter garlic:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=66619.0

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

BarrowBoy

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 14:27 »
Thank's i had read that thread but it doesn't answer my question.
What i want to know is...garlic grown this spring labeled as spring garlic will it grow if planted in autumn?

Thanks

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 14:58 »
My understanding is that autumn and spring varieties need different conditions to succeed. Certainly Autumn varieties need to be in the ground over winter so that the frosts will cause the bulb to produce side shoots that make up the cloves. Spring varieties (i think) grow more quickly and catch up with the autumn varieties. I don't know if spring varieties will suffer if planted in the autumn.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 16:20 »
I didn't think there was such a thing as a spring planting garlic variety, surely it's just ordinary garlic planted later. I Googled and the seed companies seem to sell the same varieties as 'winter planting' garlic and 'spring planting' garlic  ::)

mediterannean 'spring garlic' is the garlic plant pulled while it still looks like a leek and used sliced just as you would a leek or spring onion...it has a much milder garlic flavour than the mature cloves.

But to answer the question....garlic is winter hardy so IMO you can plant it now as long as it is healthy :) However it doesn't like to be in soaking wet soil, so if yours is like that it would be best to ridge the earth up and plant in the top of the ridge.

BarrowBoy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 18:08 »
Thanks for the great info! I will give it a go worst case i plant some more in the spring !

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 18:08 »
I planted some garlic this March as i missed the boat during the early winter to get anything in the ground.
I will say i was very lucky my garlic was very large and ended up bigger than others who had planted during the A/W.
My question is can i plant these large cloves now to grow for next year or will they just rot in the ground as they are not ready?

What variety did you grow? So far my results are : Spring planted - pathetic, Autumn planted - reasonable. I'm trying Lautrec Wight and Iberian Wight over winter this year but I might try Solent Wight too.

veggieman

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 19:02 »
I have just planted Solent Wight and Vayo; cloves from 2 bulbs of each. The Solent Wight bulbs, bought from Dobies, looked really terrific and I would be proud to have a crop of bulbs so good.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 01:12 »
According to todays Telegraph.

Hardneck varieties bulb up as the days lengthen and thus are ready for harvest in June/July. They really need to be Autumn planted.

Softneck varieties bulb up as the days shorten and are ready for harvest a little later. They are best planted Jan/Feb but can be planted from November onwards.

That's what it said. Out of the mouth of the IOW garlic farmer.

xx
Spring Garlic

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 19:09
by LivvyW
xx
Which Spring Garlic to I go for?

Started by maxine on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:44
by Fisherman
xx
spring garlic?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 14:43
by sunshineband
xx
Spring planting garlic?

Started by Cheryl B on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 18:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 1.149 seconds with 38 queries.