Ham

• 6 Replies

Grasshopper

• Experienced Member
Ham
« on: October 15, 2010, 11:10 »
Bought a ham shank yesterday, plenty of meat on it and only two quid, trouble is I want to cook it in my slow cooker and I don't know how :blush: Any ideas anybody??
He's my best buddy, my dog called Woody.
If it works, organic. If it don't, well.........??

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Ham
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:25 »
That would make a nice pea (or lentil) and ham soup.  :happy:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:21 »
Suff it in the slow cooker with carrot chunks, onion chunks and swede - yep you've guessed it, chunks, a bay leaf and 6 black peppercorns.  The stock is cracking.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 20:33 »
or put it in slow cooker for five hours,then  pre heat oven to 200c.  Take skin off (but leave fat) stud it with cloves (if you like taste) then spread mustard over fat, sprinkle with brown sugar and roast until brown(about 10-15 minutes)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 13:46 »
Slow cook with pinto beans (I use 'feijao de Santa Catarina' but I don't know the English translation  - a brown kidney bean would work well)/chourico (garlic sausage)/carrots/wine or water/onion/toms (deseeded and skinned if you've got the time)/bay/olive oil/parsley/seasoning to taste and a pig's trotter too if you've got one - just bung it in whole as it makes the liquor delightfully 'sticky'.  Add the chourico and carrots half way through the cooking time and chopped flat-leaved parsley towards the end. Include some squash pieces or potato pieces to 'mush down' during the cooking for a thicker liquor if desired. Alternatively wizz up some of the beans at the end and stir these into the 'stew'.
Serve with rice to soak up the gravy.

SS

rachelr

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 19:37 »
slow cooker with coca cola not water then a qucik wack in the oven to brown off the fat layer. its wicked xxxxxx

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 21:11 »
Daisy's recipe works a treat on an oyster cut as well.     Cheers,   Tony.

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 28 queries.