Layers pellets & Grit

• 9 Replies

stujem

Layers pellets & Grit
« on: October 14, 2010, 19:21 »
Hi Everyone, I've been mixing grit with the layers pellets but my chickens I have been going without there pellets as there was only grit on the bottom of the feeder. The feeder failed to keep filling itself as there was plenty of pellets left, but was stuck into the holder. Does anyone know if the chickens will take there grit if it was in another bowl or something and not mixed with the pellets. I have a cheap plastic feeder which you fill up the middle and it releases the pellets on the bottom, well at least it should!
Stu

Foghorn-Leghorn

Re: Layers pellets & Grit
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 20:06 »
Yes, if you put the grit in a separate container your girls will help themselves to what they need.  If you haven't already, it would be worth having another container with crushed oyster shell.

You don't really want to mix anything with the layers pellets.

For grit and oyster shell I've found a plantpot with some fairly sturdy wire in a loop through a couple of the holes and stuck in the ground (like a peg) stops them knocking it over - much cheaper than buying custom pots too.  ;)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

stujem

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 20:11 »
Thank you Foghorn-Leghorn, I will do as you said, thank you for that. I was worried because I do put grit on the floor and mix it in with bread when I give them some, and they don't seem to take any, but I would think they know best and will eat the grit when they need it. I will put a flower pot in the ground tomorrow. Thank you

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 20:52 »
often you won't see them eat their grit and oyster shell but don't worry they will get some when you aren't looking  :). Also as FL said give these seperately to the feed  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

stujem

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 21:32 »
Thank you Joyfull, I have a little bit left in the pot mixed with grit so I will take this all on board. Many thanks.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 22:20 »
I use a terracotta plant pot that is designed to hang on a wall so it has one side flat so it is flush to the wall when hung. Mine is laid on the ground flat side to the ground. It keeps the grit/oyster shell etc nice and dry and the hens can help themselves when they want.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 00:04 »
It's a bad idea to mix feed types in adlib systems as they will inevitably pick out the bits they like and leave or pick out those they don't thus getting an imbalance or as in this case blocking the feeder up with the less tasty bits.  Always feed separately.  Don't  even mix pellets and corn.

HF
Truth through science.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 13:37 »
I used to have separate containers for grit and shell, clipped on to the weldmesh, but they never really paid them much attention, so I've ended up just tipping a handful of each onto the end of an upturned chunk of log.  Their dining table. :lol:

Some gets kicked off on the soil, but it does seem to disappear.  And even if it does end up in the soil, they spend all day digging and picking at stuff, so it gets taken in that way too.

Don't mix with pellets, it will always separate out.

stujem

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 22:50 »
I put a pot of grit in a tub today, they never went near it, how much grit do they need, they where out of there run today for hours eating worms and anything else they could find, when picking at the soil etc do they need the grit I give them or do they pick up some sort of grit from the soil?. They hang around me alot now as I have a spade digging out for there new run, they are hoping to get that easy worm which I dig up for them. (well not for them really but they don't know that)

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 23:29 »
I put a pot of grit in a tub today, they never went near it, how much grit do they need, they where out of there run today for hours eating worms and anything else they could find, when picking at the soil etc do they need the grit I give them or do they pick up some sort of grit from the soil?. They hang around me alot now as I have a spade digging out for there new run, they are hoping to get that easy worm which I dig up for them. (well not for them really but they don't know that)

Generally if they are free ranging they will pick up enough insoluable grit anyway.  They actually don't need extra insoluable grit if they free range.   

Oyster shell is a soluable grit and provides extra calcium.  Young birds fed on a layers compound feed will be getting enough in their feed.  As chx get older they may need extra calcium but again the need is usually supplied from free ranging and unless there's a particular problem with shell quality there's no need for force feeding calcium.  Having oyster shell available adlib so should they need it they will take it is fine.

The need for feeding healthy young birds grit or oyster shell is much exagerated.
HF

xx
pellets and grit ratio?

Started by mikeschooks on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 13:29
by andreadon
xx
pellets to grit to oyster shell ratio

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 09:05
by Roughlee Handled
xx
....as well as layers pellets?

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 18:38
by KathyH
xx
Layers pellets or other?

Started by Brambles on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 16:04
by Brambles

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 37 queries.